What's in your garden?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Allie
Site Admin

What's in your garden?

Postby Allie » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:51 pm

Tell us what herbs you're growing and what you're planing to use them for!

:mrgreen:
.:*~*:._.:*~*:.
~* Allie *~
Wise Woman Team

Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What's in your garden?

Postby Lady Alinor » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:51 pm

Wow! Geez!
We've been here on the farm over 20 years, so.....here goes

St. John's Wort (can become invasive) Sciatica remedy
Yarrow-Dental issues
Mugwort
Fireweed-flu and cold...jelly :D
Agrimony-upper resp.
Fennel-Digestive
Lavender-Sleep, burns,
Comfrey-Sore joints
Calendula-wound salves, calming tea
Yellow Dock-liver and bowel support
Burdock-Liver support, anti-cancer
Mullein-spine issues, pain (flowers), lung support
Garlic-anti-everything
Motherwort-emotional support, heart health
Clary Sage-gift from LadyB
Wintergreen-pain
Rosemary-pain reliever
Valerian-sleep
Plantain-wound salves and lung grunge
Mint
Nettle
Elcampane-flu and cold
Wild Ginger
False Solomon's Seal
Hawthorn-heart (planted two trees in the garden)

My husband has drawn a line in the garden, he says once and for all your plants will not be allowed to grow past here...He's such a funny man :lol:
Mother Nature planted many of my herbs and I've encouraged them to stay and make themselves to home ;)

Jae Lily

Postby Jae Lily » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:05 pm

Wow, Lady A!
I have a nice little herb garden and access to some wild herbs out in the country. The most notable is my lemon balm, which has spread all over near and far. I take that as a hint that I should probably use her more often! I dry quite a bit for tea. My little boy loves it in the winter, especially when he has a cold. I have also been making a nice lemon balm pesto once a week. I wish I knew how to preserve some of that for winter!

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Jae Lily
How about making Lemon Balm jelly. You could also freeze some fresh herb for winter use.

It amazes me how far Lemon Balm can travel, we've found small stands of it in the woods far from my herb garden...lol

mendit5

Postby mendit5 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:27 am

I have a nice little garden going. This year i finally got lavendar to stay. Now its taking over. I think they and mint are in cohoots. How do you freeze the herbs? Are they still sound for medicine after thawing?

Melissa Doordaughter

Postby Melissa Doordaughter » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:34 am

Personally, the only herb I freeze is basil, in a home made pesto sauce. If I want t o keep herbs or plant material for medicine I generally dry it, or put it in a tincture.... I think alot depends on the individual plant but freezing wouldn't be my first option.

In my little garden we've got a pomegranite tree, typical kitchen herbs like sage and rosemary and thyme (this year missing the parsley, tut tut, I should work on that), some echinacea in pots, 2nd year growth, I'm aiming to make my own ech tincture seeing as I use so much of it.... lavender, lots of roses, calendula and comfrey.... and a shed load of peppermint that can only be shifted with consistent mojito drinkin in the summer months... I'd love to work on a bigger garden but I have to over come my personal laziness (the plot of land available to me is about 10 minutes drive away) and water issues (there's no water mains)..... actually the only real issue is personal laziness, I always use work as an excuse but it's time to get movin!

herbgirltam

Postby herbgirltam » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:08 am

I have stinging nettle.i use it to juice for my allergies and i also dry it and use it in tea in the winter months.Currently tincturing lemon balm for cold and flu season.i have tons of comfrey which is taking over my garden and the more i try to dig it out the more i end up with i made salve with that.Horseradish is also taking over my garden and i am not sure what i am going to do with all that the more i try to extradite that the more i end up with also.I have white horehound which i dried i will make some cough syrup with honey otherwise it is so bitter i can't stand it in tea.Lovage i dried and use in my stuffing and soups and i have Romanian friends whom go crazy over the lovage they use it in a soup they call borsch but their version does not have red beets in it.I have thyme,sage,mullein,calendula which i have been drying to put in soaps and lotions and sometimes i sprinkle on my salads just because its pretty.Wild roses i usually harvest the hips they are very tiny and i grind them and put them in my soap but for some reason there weren't any this fall maybe the birds ate them??I dried alot of spearmint.I did not have time to properly care for my garden this year or can anything my daughter and i quote stated mom i would be afraid to go in there without boots and long gloves who knows whats in there it looks like a jungle lol however the variety of flowers and plants intermixed confused the bugs and everything very healthy.i only garden organically.It also didn't helo that i let every tomato come up from seed that wanted to from last year.oh well live and learn.It would be fun to see pics of each others gardens.I also used pallets which i won't do again i think i wull use cinderblocks or simple raised beds with untreated lumber.i read you have to be careful which pallets you use and i cannot tell what kind mine were cant find any marks on them

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:34 pm

I've put my garden to bed... rather, my two gardens. I live in an apartment so I always have a container garden; this year I had thyme, lavender, rosemary, tansy left over from last year that didn't do well, holy basil, marigold, sweet woodruff, and pansies. This year I had a small plot as well, but it was on family land two hours' drive away, so I planted perennials and visited once a month. In that garden I have motherwort, astragalus, and angelica. Everything did OK, though the motherwort wasn't as tall as I expected. The angelica really took over, though, and I harvested the leaves several times so it wouldn't smother the astragalus!

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”