Drying herbs

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chicago Lady
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Drying herbs

Postby Chicago Lady » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:17 pm

Hello, everyone. I have successfully grown some herbs this year. How do I store them to be used at a future date in teas? Thanks!

Lady Alinor

Re: Drying herbs

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:41 pm

I like to store my dry herbs in glass jars...in a dark cupboard.
I also like to store herbs in the freezer...in glass jars.
If I'm going to be using a plant often and plan on it being used up in a short time then a paper bag works as a storage container.

NateFlory

Postby NateFlory » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:49 am

For storage, I'd second the dark glass jars method. I've also used some stoneware lidded "Butter crocks" for smaller amounts of cooking herbs like basil/thyme/etc. Usually, big batches I just use the larger 2-quart jars, or glass "cookie jars", stored inside the cabinet out of the light.

For drying, I alternate between simply hanging bundles of fresh herbs to dry in my living room or kitchen cupboard handles, and setting up a proper drying station. For that, I have soem old (clean) window screens that I spread leaves on, and set out on the kitchen table with a very small fan blowing -near- them. I don't blow across the screens but just stir the air in the room.

Depending on how dry andsunny your climate is, I also haev been known to spread a couple handfuls of fresh plant material on a cookie sheet and stick it on the back "shelf" of my car behind the rear seats (above the trunk) while I am at work. Sun-dried! (I process tomatoes this way!) Usually I do this for mugwort and basil and the stuff I only need a small bit of at a time, but it works great. (more aromatic herbs will makethe car smell Potent, and lose some volitiles when "quick-sundried" this way, but certain herbs fare better than others.)

Likewise, hardier herbs that you don't mind getting turned into bits and pieces, you can dry by filling about 1/4 of a paper bag, and shaking it up a few times a day. This also slooowly dries them, and the shaking is important to promote even airflow while drying.

The most consistant method for drying is probably the window screen, and ceiling fan on low (or small desk fan pointed away from them) which is slow and promotes airflow all around it, preventing any moisture mold.

Good luck!

AriaBeth

Postby AriaBeth » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:43 pm

Refrigerator Drying Herbs - Super-simple method of drying herbs basically amounts to neglect.
Simply stick them in the fridge and forget about them for a few days

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:10 am

I've accidentally done the fridge drying method too.

My favourite way, though, is hanging. It's a slow and gentle method. I feel as though the slow and gentle methods (not necessarily this one) not only retains the integrity of both the physical and energetic nutrients, along with more of its full flavour.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:42 am

I prefer to hang them in my kitchen, for several reasons - first, there they are in front of me, I am not likely to forget about them, and I can check them regularly. Second, it's aesthetically pleasing and makes me feel like the old herb woman I am. Third, it just works!

But I also do use the paper bag method, though reading this thread reminds me that I have a couple of things that I need to look at.

lalacurf121

Postby lalacurf121 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:57 am

I have a couple of things that I need to look at.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”