Herbs / Foods that Dissolve Blood Clots

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Singingcrowsings
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Herbs / Foods that Dissolve Blood Clots

Postby Singingcrowsings » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Hello Everyone,

Recently my dad broke his leg and blood clots from the bone developed and landed in his lungs. He's okay, but this is going to affect his quality of life.

I was wondering if anyone knew of an herb or food that is well-known (I don't want him to go on a wild goose-chase) for dissolving blood clots?

I know of nattokinase, but he's unable to take that while on the warfarin (blood thinners). Do you know of anything else?

Thank you for your help!

NateFlory

Re: Herbs / Foods that Dissolve Blood Clots

Postby NateFlory » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:46 am

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with any specifics off the top of my head for Blood Clots, but wanted to bump the thread and reply so it stayed on the "new" filter for our other wonderful wise women to see. :) Best of luck, and healing for your father! Mine went through similar lung issues (though his turned out to be cancerous lesions, not clots) and I know there is a lot that mixes badly with rat poison (warfarin) in general.

He used Pinapple juice, and ate lots of Apples (which we heard were useful and 'mainstream' enough for me to convince him to eat). Plus a slight increase in garlic on his pasta. ;)
Garlic is great for many things, but we had read multiple sources stating that it pairs badly with SOME bloodthinners, so do your research. also,
Ginko is a blood-thinner, so probably avoid that as well?

Green blessings.

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:35 pm

Thanks Nate!

I remembered him using Ginko Biloba not too long before the break, so warned him not too for now. Luckily he wasn't back on it.

I just researched the pineapple and apples too. Thank you so much!!!

I wonder if he'd be up for eating earthworms....? ;)

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:05 pm

Rinse the Earthworms real well....nothing like grit crunch to spoil a perfectly good plate of fried Earthworms :lol:

I can't help with clot dissolving suggestions, I will offer looking into supporting his system (especially immune) Dandelion and Oatstraw...Astragalus (perhaps?)

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:15 pm

Thanks Lady Alinor! what a wise suggestion! The dirt part too. ha ha!

Unfortunately, he might have to nix the dandelion for now. He needs to stay away from foods with vitamin K for the moment. But I'll look into the others for sure. :D

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:36 am

My Mom's on coumadin/warfarin. I did about 2 1/2 years of research into mixing that with herbalism recently. 20 years ago I had attended many of my Grandmother's doctors appts with a doc who was very knowledgeable in regards to nutritional supplementation and he loved to talk about it. For myself, I choose not not to. A good and wholesome diet that follows the nutritional guidelines is the best I can do for her. That drug is too volatile to risk her life that way.

They tell you to stay away from vitamin K (which does the opposite of what it does naturally when combined with coumadin.) They really mean it when they say stay away from green tea. A normal pt/inr is between 2 and 3. One cup of green tea made it a 5. One cup.

it takes about 3 days to work. The pill a person takes today doesn't kick in for 72 hours. That makes it dangerous if the blood gets too thin because they have to fight it in either telemetry or icu. Heparin works immediately. That's why a person will get that for the first 3 days until the first dose of warfarin kicks in.

If you really want to help your dad - find a doc or pharmacist that knows their shit or have an herbal consultation with an herbalist you respect. A lot of them will do phone or skype consults.

This drug is way too dangerous for home medicating.

There are some things that Western Medicine is very good at. This is one of them, imo.

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:46 am

Thanks for your post Redrose.

Yes, I agree, the Western Docs are doing a good job with him.

His being on warfarin is only supposed to last for a few months. I suspect this has more to do with being a precaution for time it takes for his break to heal to a point where the threat of more blood clots won't be an issue. The clots were created from a trauma not issues with his system.

He has been on it for a few weeks now, and is now just needing to go in to have it tested once every few weeks to a month. His numbers are good, although it fell at one point, because he ate something he shouldn't have - he learnt his lesson. So, yeah, he's well past the point of getting it to work.

Warfarin, though, does not dissolve clots, it just prevents them from forming, which clearly you know, but someone else here might not.

I'll head the warning about herbalism, thank you. The foods he is allowed to eat that can help, though, I think it's worth a a try.

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:19 am

And the hearth has become our modern day kitchens.

Does he like oatmeal at all? My mom seems to have more energy on the days she eats her oatmeal for breakfast. :D

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:19 pm

Ha ha! He has eaten oatmeal everyday for decades it seems.

Now I want oatmeal... :lol: :D

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”