Cleavers

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
RoseRed
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cleavers

Postby RoseRed » Wed May 27, 2015 9:35 am

I dried my first batch of cleavers and they're awful!

The leaves shriveled away to nothing, the stems are a ,crunchy, straw like, brittle mess and the little fuzzy seeds seem really happy.

Is that normal?

And is that why you mostly see directions for fresh tincture while you're picking it?

I've come across recipes for tea but there's nothing left but stems :shock:

Movlin

Re: Cleavers

Postby Movlin » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:00 am

I've only ever tinctured it fresh or eaten it fresh - it does shrivel away when you dry it but the parts are still there! I imagine it reconstitutes okay in liquid?

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:54 am

We all have to try dried cleavers at least once...just as we have to try eating a wee bit fresh (LadyB is not the only one to discover the cling to your tongue yummy of fresh cleavers salad...lol )

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:57 am

LOL

How have you been?

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:42 am

RoseRed... :D
I'm doing well, not online often because I'm caring for my mother who is dealing with inoperable Lung Cancer ( she is about to move in with us (I'm terrified!!!) so as you can imagine life is CRAZY right now).

Cleavers....I allow some cleavers to grow in my garden, I flag them so hubby doesn't pull 'em. I think I've discovered another use for cleavers, I allowed it to come up near the potatoes, it seems like the white fly plaguing my potato patch don't bother the plants embraced by the cleavers.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:09 pm

I was just reading about cleavers over at the archived site...the conversation mentions 'sun-drying' cleavers to a 'black' stage, then using as a black tea substitute.
I don't think I've ever gotten the herb to darken.

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:19 am

Mine didn't turn black either.

Oh, I don't have to imagine. My Mother survived her cancer ordeal and we're finally settled into the new house in SC. My daughter just celebrated her 1 year anniversary, moved home with her husband and is 13 weeks yesterday. My Dad died in February, so now I have 3 fat yappy inherited dogs. I just call home 'The Zoo'. Mom's dementia is still in the early stages so she goes back and forth with good days and bad.

My heart goes out to you, Lady A. It's not easy. But we do it out of love.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:58 am

Thanks for the 'Positive' thoughts and support. Sending some positive vibes back to you, you are a goddess!
We've reached that 'age' where we again become caregivers...raise our kids---get a break---take care of the parents/elders---get a break---our kids then get the duty... muwahahaha :lol:

While reading about Cleavers experiences (in the archives) I was reminded that my eldest son (34) turns to the herb/tincture for many 'ills' (anytime there feels to be a blockage, even blockages within his 'spirit', (perhaps one day he will be called to be an herb ally ...an Herb Shaman )

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:43 pm

Now that's a use I hadn't heard of before but it makes sense.

I'll have the parent and the grandbaby today. Fun times. :)

If there's anything I can do - even if it's just to talk or ask weird questions (because I do a lot of home care with Mom), pm me. It can be so overwhelming.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”