Equisetum/horsetail

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ItalianBee
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Equisetum/horsetail

Postby ItalianBee » Thu May 21, 2015 4:26 pm

I just came back from a lovely long walk during which I gathered a bag full of Equisetum. I know that this is used as a diuretic, and that it is important to gather when it is young (one reason I was determined to go out today), but neither I nor anybody I know has immediate need for a diuretic - what other uses are people familiar with? I would like to make friends with this plant.

RoseRed

Re: Equisetum/horsetail

Postby RoseRed » Fri May 22, 2015 7:29 am

I used to put a teaspoon of it in my exhusbands oatstraw infusions for prostate health.

NateFlory

Postby NateFlory » Tue May 26, 2015 7:24 am

Not quite a "herbal medicine", but older horsetail plants are great when camping to scrub pots and pans after dinner. :) Do this in scouts periodically, if there's enough around that a handfull won't impact sustainabile growth.

I've also heard that due to it's silicon content, it's marginally useful for brittle nails and osteoporosis, but I can't find any studies to really support that beyond "friend of a friend of a friend mentioned it" levels of references.

It's a neat plant to find though. I like it's shape.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Tue May 26, 2015 5:18 pm

I have also heard that about osteoporosis, Nate - equisetum appears to be high in calcium.

And I will definitely try that with the pots and pans, though I imagine that the later-season, coarser plants would work better than the delicate little fronds I collected!

Movlin

Postby Movlin » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:08 am

It's one of my very favorites! It healed my kidneys and is regrowing broken teeth in my mouth. The silica in this plant is magic. Since silica is a building block of the body, horsetail can help rebuild and repair most anything - internally and externally. It makes a wonderful face toner, as it rebuilds skin cells that are aging....the list just goes on and on. Be a little careful when harvesting this plant - some recommend gloves and protective eyewear as the glass like particles of silica can lodge in places....

Don't undervalue one of the oldest plants on earth.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:18 am

Thank you Movlin! I never thought of using it externally. I'm about to make some more of my elderflower vinegar (which I dilute and dab on my face), and it sounds as if I could add horsetail to it and make it even better. :D

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:29 pm

Movlin is right...Horsetail is a mineral powerhouse!!!! I use it with Oatstraw (daily) and Comfrey (1-2 times a week).
To be able to harvest Horsetail is a real blessing...sunshine, fresh air, and green things...BLESSINGS! :D

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:12 pm

The archived site has some great HORSETAIL threads.
http://web.archive.org/web/201308290327 ... /index.php

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:40 pm

Thanks all!

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”