So I ate some sort of reed...

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Singingcrowsings
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

So I ate some sort of reed...

Postby Singingcrowsings » Fri May 15, 2015 10:05 pm

I ate this reed by the river. Shoot are now just shooting up, and I read we can eat the shoots like asperagus, or eat the roots, or eat the white of the more mature plant.

I was pleasantly surprised when I ate the shoot raw to find it tastes a lot like wheatgrass juice! And all those lovely vitamins... wonderful!

ItalianBee

Re: So I ate some sort of reed...

Postby ItalianBee » Sat May 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Do you have any idea what the name of the reed was? Can you post a picture? (I don't know if we can do that on this site) I have eaten cattails, but a long time ago and I don't really remember how we prepared them.

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Sat May 16, 2015 5:38 pm

I believe they are called "common reed", nothing fancy.

This is what they look like, they're everywhere:

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sun May 17, 2015 7:28 am

Thanks!

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Sun May 17, 2015 10:33 pm

No problem!

Last year, I was learning a lot about edible plants, while I was learning about infusions; it's amazing how many plants we wee everyday are edible! Anyway, this was one I learnt about and was eager to try the shoots. It was worth waiting for all year long!

I'm going to try the rhizomes too at some point in the near future. If I liked the sprouts I can only imagine how good the rhizomes will be! :)

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”