Prostate trouble

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sandwalker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Prostate trouble

Postby Sandwalker » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:19 pm

I'm trying to gather information for my father. His prostate had swelled shut (no mention of cancer, not yet anyway), and they drained about a gallon of pee from him. He is cathetered and on his way to recovery now, but the renal diet that the doctors have given him is highly unsatisfactory to us hippy folk, and we would like some guidance on wisely breaking it. The renal diet avoids foods that are high in potassium and phosphorus, but wants him to eat things high in magnesium. Ofcourse the Mother combines minerals in foods for maximum absorption, so you get very few foods high in magnesium and not the other two. The diet also says not to eat whole grains of any sort, and my family is not a fan of white breads/rices/etc.
I have taken a quick stroll through the book Healing Wise and determined that he should be drinking nettle infusion, and maybe once he gets a little more recovering under his belt, burdock infusion. We would greatly appreciate thoughts on foods, especially the whole/white grains issue. Thanks!

RoseRed

Re: Prostate trouble

Postby RoseRed » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:54 am

I added a tablespoon of horsetail to my exhubands oatstraw infusion for prostate health but he didn't actually have any medical issues with it yet. I would clear that with your doc or herbalist first.

I think it's wise to have a consult with a well respected and established herbalist when working to combine it with western medicine - but that's just me.

GreenRaven

Postby GreenRaven » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:17 am

Does he have kidney problems? Just seems a renal diet isn't what you'd use for prostate problems. Although, if his urine was so backed up, it could have injured the kidneys. If kidneys are involved, you might want to look into herbs that help them. If he's being given pharmaceuticals, you'd certainly want to make sure an herbs are compatible.

Sandwalker

Postby Sandwalker » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:40 am

Kidneys were injured because of the back-up, he's not on pharmaceuticals that I know of anymore (except for the occasional antibiotic cause peeing w/ a catheter makes one prone to urinary infections), and the dr's are all very surprised at how well he's recovering. He is being given nettles and some burdock I believe. We are hopeful that he won't be on the renal diet permanently.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:22 am

I make saw palmetto tincture for my husband, but he just has a somewhat enlarged prostate, not anything as serious as you're describing. I would definitely check anything you give him, including that, with his doctor first.

GreenRaven

Postby GreenRaven » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:24 am

You might look into mullein root. Jim McDonald talks about it here for prostate and bladder: http://www.herbcraft.org/mullein.html

marvinuncleherbs

Postby marvinuncleherbs » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:49 am

Four simple steps can help relieve some of the symptoms of BPH:

1. Some men who are nervous and tense urinate more frequently. Reduce stress by exercising regularly and practicing relaxation techniques such as meditation.

2. When you go to the bathroom, take the time to empty your bladder completely. This will reduce the need for subsequent trips to the toilet.

3. Talk with your doctor about all prescription and over-the-counter medications you’re taking; some may contribute to the problem. Your doctor may be able to adjust dosages or change your schedule for taking these drugs, or he or she may prescribe different medications that cause fewer urinary problems.

4. Avoid drinking fluids in the evening, particularly caffeinated and alcoholic beverages. Both can affect the muscle tone of the bladder, and both stimulate the kidneys to produce urine, leading to nighttime urination.

harr13

Postby harr13 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:09 pm

Just one thing: pumpkin seed oil is splendid for prostrate health. It's green in colour and goes great on salads - but not with cheese. :D
And along with other suggestions, a daily dose of dandelion in any shape or form should gradually help.

Sandwalker

Postby Sandwalker » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:22 pm

Thanks for the replies.. it is all being filtered through and considered, much appreciated!

Narayani

Postby Narayani » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:10 am

OK This is an older post but I just thought I'd jump in with some ideas for other who may come along :)

A big yes to nettle infusions. Also corn silk tea which is very good for bladder and kidney issues. And I would look at using Red Clover infusions as well..... maybe alternating them with the nettle infusions. Red Clover speaks to glandular problems for me.
Namaste
Narayani

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”