Upcoming colonoscopy - any herbal advice?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

ItalianBee
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Upcoming colonoscopy - any herbal advice?

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:57 am

I have managed to evade having my second (routine, age-related) colonoscopy for an extra year, remembering how horrible the prep for the first one was (liquid diet then all-night purge, for those of you who haven't been there). But it's coming up on Monday and I'm pretty nervous.

I'm only allowed to drink clear liquids as of tomorrow morning, which includes milkless tea and coffee, apple juice, water, chicken or beef broth. Or jello. Nothing red or orange. With that in mind, does anybody have any suggestions for herbal infusions that could ease the pain that my poor *ahem!* backside is going to experience? Before or after? After, of course, it doesn't matter what colour.

Thanks and I could use some good thoughts even if you don't have specific suggestions!

RoseRed
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Upcoming colonoscopy - any herbal advice?

Postby RoseRed » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:10 am

I wouldn't recommend infusions. The purpose of the clear liquid diet is to clean out your system. Depending on what you're infusing - there can be a lot of more solid matter in it. They want the colon clean of the body processing any solids so that if you get nicked - there's no fecal matter to contaminate your blood. It's an infection measure.

If it were me - I would stick with teas.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:19 am

Thanks. I'm really thinking of "infusion" in the meaning of water-based and I will definitely make sure anything I drink is free of solids. I' m thinking lemon balm for one. Probably save soothing mucilaginous teas for afterwards (marshmallow and so on) huh?

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:51 pm

you don't want to drink lemon balm as an infusion. It has too many constituents in it for that level of infusion.

Marshmallow or I can't think of the name of the inner bark - the mucilaginous ones - def save for after. They'll help in soothing any irritation as well. Good luck gulping down the slime. It makes me gag but it gets the job done.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:57 pm

What teas would you recommend? Would lemon balm be OK just as a tea?

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:34 am

I assume that it would be. A 3 minute steep usually produces a clear liquid.

Getting into which teas would be good for this procedure is a little beyond what I'm comfortable sharing simply because I honestly, just don't know. Perhaps one of the other wonderful members here can help you with this. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful in this specific department.

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:35 am

my Mother is on coumadin and she is forbidden from drinking green tea because it's a blood thinner. I don't know if it's because of the interaction with coumadin or if it does that all on it's own but that's one I would avoid before a procedure such as this. You don't want to take anything that'll make any possible abrasions bleed.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:37 am

Thanks RoseRed, I didn't mean to make you go beyond your comfort. I appreciate the time you've taken with this!

I am just glad that I am allowed a few things with calories, like apple juice, because I don't do well not eating....

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:59 pm

You could always use this time as a ritual fasting - if you're into that kind of thing. A sacrificial unwanted but allowed penetration is an Ordeal. This could be a beautiful spiritual experience for you. It all depends upon perspective.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:33 pm

I'm trying to be very present with it, moment by moment, use it for self-nurture - distribute the apple juice, with calories, through the day, and so on. It's not exactly a ritual fast but it shares with that idea that it's an invitation to consider what's happening. So thanks for putting the phrase in my head.

I'm actually a little scared about the purging part (starting in about 3 hours) because I have some heart problems that have got worse since the last time I had this. Everybody involved knows about them and I am trying to think of this, again, as a way of being in tune with my body. But it's not easy.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”