Dandelion root herbal infusion ???

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
sabinagirl
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Dandelion root herbal infusion ???

Postby sabinagirl » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:40 pm

HI

Has anyone tried making an herbal infusion using dried Dandelion roots/leaf ? I know susun recommends the tincture but i do not have access to the fresh root so was thinking of using the dried root/leaf as an herbal infusion

Thanks

ItalianBee

Re: Dandelion root herbal infusion ???

Postby ItalianBee » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:31 pm

I was trying to remember if I had ever made an infusion with dandelion, but I don't think so. But you can make tinctures with the dried root or leaf - just don't use as much plant material, and chop it up well. I fill the jar about 1/4 - 1/3 full of the plant material and then pour in the alcohol or vinegar (they're good with cider vinegar as well as alcohol!).

NateFlory

Postby NateFlory » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:19 am

I drink Dandelion root tea fairly frequently as my morning "coffee", mixed with bit Chicory and a touch of Licrice root, Steeped for a good half hour while I get ready for the day, so it's good and strong. (which is like a semi-infusion, I suppose) :)
However, I can also recommend tincturing with the dried plant material as well. Don't use quite as much as you would fresh roots, as ItalianBee suggests. :)

http://www.susunweed.com/herbal_ezine/O ... ewoman.htm

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:06 am

I've made tincture from the dried roots. It works well.

I'm sure the fresh root would work better.

I thought you were supposed to get the fresh roots after the first frost in the fall.

Kezzie

Postby Kezzie » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:51 pm

I prefer fresh plant infusions with dandelion, but living in central Alaska, I have to dry a great deal of both leaf and root to get through our 8 month winters.
One thing to keep in mind - when you dry dandelion root for infusions, mince the root into small pieces, because she is tough as tough gets when she dries out!

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:12 am

I use dandelion root in tincture.

Even making the toasted root coffee is more of a tea then an infusion.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:19 pm

I tried a Dandelion root infusion once...only once! Too BITTER!
I don't mind bitter but root infusion was TOO much! :lol:

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”