Dried herbs YEARS past their use by date

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
daisy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Dried herbs YEARS past their use by date

Postby daisy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:24 am

Just wondering what to do with 2 packets of dried well past their use by date. One is Red Clover - use by date is Dec. 2008, the other Nettle Leaf - use by date Aug. 2009. Found them in the back of my pantry so kept in a dry, dark place all these years in their original packaging (only opened once) and since folded over and lackabanded. I'm thinking of making an infusion to use them up but just wondering how useful as a nutritious infusion they would now be, that is, how much nutrients would an infusion supply once 5-7 years past its use by date (according to label on packet). Any replies greatly appreciated.

daisy

Re: Dried herbs YEARS past their use by date

Postby daisy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:43 pm

Any thoughts/comments greatly appreciated. I am an avid reader of this site, but not come across anything relating to use of dried herbs as infusions once dried herbs over 5 years. Thank you.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:16 am

Rule of thumb I think in general is to sniff them - if they smell good they may have magically kept some of their virtue and be worth infusing. Otherwise, I'd compost them.

paigerussell

Postby paigerussell » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:07 am

I agree with smelling them, additionally what you can do is open the bag and look at the herb... If it seems lifeless and colorless it is no longer good. I have a bag of dried nettle that isn't "expired" but seems lifeless to me. I plan to use Susan's homemade insecticide recipe with it or to try and use it as plant food. The worst that could happen is that it would do nothing-- but no harm would be done. Maybe you could do the same. At the very least you could just return the plant back to the Earth.

Green Blessings

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”