Dried Motherwort

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
em8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Dried Motherwort

Postby em8 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:34 pm

I recently got some dried Motherwort and I have no idea why I got it or what to do with it, any suggestions?

Movlin

Re: Dried Motherwort

Postby Movlin » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:00 pm

There are so many applications for this wonderful plant. Have you read any of Susun's books, or listened to any of her podcasts? Do a youtube search for "Susun Weed and Motherwort" - lots of great info.

em8

Postby em8 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:47 pm

Thanks Movlin, I have several of Susun's books but I only seem to find uses for fresh Motherwort. Will have another read and will check out youtube.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:18 pm

I use dried Motherwort to make tinctures - you just don't put as much in the medium as you would with fresh. And the medicinal uses are the same. You could make infusions of it as well.

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:14 am

I've heard wonderful things about motherwort tinctures.

em8

Postby em8 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:22 am

How much would you put in for a tincture, or does it depend on the size of the jar/bottle ?

NateFlory

Postby NateFlory » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:09 pm

I would use the general directions for dried herb tinctures: http://www.susunweed.com/herbal_ezine/O ... ewoman.htm
I've never tried dried Motherwort, but if you were blessed with some, why not?! :D

(I agree with ItalianBee that while fresh herbs say to fill your jar/bottle to the brim lightly packed, doing so with Dried material seems to not work as well. Mostly because the plant material soaks up the liquid and swells. ...yes, I have experience with this! ..oops)

Basically: Mostly-Fill the container with plants. Then fill it with your tincture liquid (vinegar, alcohol, etc). Let it steep for a while. Decant/filter/strain and "serve" as needed.
Good luck!

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:01 am

Dried herbs are usually made with anywhere from a 1:3 to a 1:5 ratio. I pretty much make all of mine with a 1:4 ratio just cuz it's right in the middle.

The first number is the weight of the herb. The second number is the fluid ounces of alcohol.

One ounce of dried herb to 4 ounces of 100 proof vodka for an SW style tincture. And then multiply that up depending on how much you want to make.

Some herbalists prefer much higher alcohol contents. I've found that the 50/50 water/alcohol that's found in the 100 proof vodka works very well for me.

If you have 3 ounces of dried motherwort then (3x4=12) you'll need 12 ounces of vodka.

Most of your fresh tinctures are made with either a 1:1 ratio (one ounce of plant to one ounce of alcohol) or Simple style which is lightly pack the jar to the top and fill with vodka. I've seen quite a few tips about trying to make that much plant material fit with that small amount of fluid. The most memorable one was a well cleaned rock to hold down the fresh plant while it macerated and broke down. Anything sticking out over the top of the alcohol will ruin.

Personally, when I do a fresh tincture - I prefer to use Everclear. There's more than enough liquid in the fresh plant material that it balances out the lower percentage of water in the Everclear. But - this is what I do. What others choose to do after doing their own research is what they do.

Just make sure that whatever container you use is large enough. I use glass. I don't know if the alcohol can leech anything out of plastic but I don't want to chance it.

em8

Postby em8 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:28 am

Thank you all for your help, much appreciated x

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”