Barberry?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ItalianBee
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Barberry?

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:29 pm

I was given a lovely Middle Eastern cookbook recently, which I am still exploring. I have done a fair amount of cooking from that region, but this is the first time I've seen mention of the use of barberry. Now I'm beginning to wonder about medicinal uses. It doesn't seem to be generally known; I've just seen vague references saying "it has medicinal value." Does anybody know more?

My association with barberry is the bushes that grew on the edge of our lawn in NY, when I was a child. I always loved them; their deep red berries told me that Autumn was getting on and the edge of winter was near.

Movlin

Re: Barberry?

Postby Movlin » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:09 pm

Here's a link to some good information
http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_barberry.htm

ItalianBee

Re: Barberry?

Postby ItalianBee » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks! I also sent an e-mail to a couple of herbalist friends and got a bunch of links. And my herbal from the American colonial days makes a connection with red currant. Interesting plants.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”