night terrors

Discuss all aspects of the fertile years, birth control, moontime, fertility, pregnancy, childbirth, homebirth, midwifery, breastfeeding, mothering and more.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Melissa Doordaughter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

night terrors

Postby Melissa Doordaughter » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:13 am

my son has started waking up in the night very afraid.... this has never happened before, only the last month since he broke his foot.... I guess it's a reaction to over tiredness and shock.... but do you think it would help to keep him home from school a few days???

NateFlory

Re: night terrors

Postby NateFlory » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:47 am

Not sure how old your son is, but if it is becoming an issue, I personally have always said that sometimes a "Mental Health Day" is worth far FAR more than a single day in school, especially if you work to ensure you get the days homework, and no tests and such. We were almost going to homeschool, but didnt' work out best with a new work schedule I had to take. However, I still feel that engaging days with mom/dad are potentially far greater learning/growth experiences over the long term.
My son's 10, and a day of snuggling on the couch until late morning, then some fun "lets go outside or play Wildcraft, or make foam swords, or craft a robot out of soup cans" is priceless time spent with loved ones. We did that when he had a bad experience with camp and was in a mental slump with nightmares and such for a few days. Reset him just wonderfulyl after that day "off".

but that's just my humble opinion. Hoping Others may chime in as well. :)

em8

Postby em8 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:32 am

I agree with Nateflory, a day off of school will do your son no harm what so ever and having a extra day with you( so to speak) will be a bonus plus it will show him that you are taking his night terrors seriously, not suggesting of course that you aren't, but you know what children's minds can do.
You never know but you may gain an insight into what may have sparked it off.

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:58 pm

Do you know what it is that he's dreaming about?

When my daughter was little we watched a movie about a giant snake. Her night terrors started soon after. She would wake up screaming that the snake was going to eat her. Her aunt found a small garden snake in the back yard, brought it over and introduced it to her and let her hold it. The night terrors stopped after that.

Melissa Doordaughter

Postby Melissa Doordaughter » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:24 am

Well... he is 7.... The first night he woke up was about 3 days after he had broken his toes (he dropped a cast iron vice on his foot.... ouch).... He's not having dreams exactly, it's as if he's dreaming whilst he's awake.... he was showing intense fear, crying, and talking (disjointedly) .... then 2 nights ago it happened again.... He'd been practising magic tricks all day and was saying in the night that it was scaring him, especially because (we'd told him) not to tell anyone how the ricks were done. Well after staying there for a short while he settled down but I think he's finding not being able to walk and run about properly distressing, and also he's having a hard time at the moment adjusting to the school atmosphere, often when the teachers are angry or tell him off he takes it very personally.

Actually I am a little concerned that his toes aren't healing as they should, I'm going to take him to the doctors on Monday. It's a bit tricky for me here because I don't really know what to expect from the hospitals, and having to deal with everything in a second language complicates communication with health experts....

Thanks for the feedback, I think Monday we will take a day out for some healing- both physical and mental.

Movlin

Postby Movlin » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:03 am

Sometimes children start having night terrors when their backs are not aligned. I've had a few of my children have that problem. I squeeze them in an extra tight bear hug, their backs go pop pop pop, and they stop waking up.

If you son had some physical trauma when he broke his foot he could have sustained some spinal kinkage in the process.

How's he doing now Mel?

Melissa Doordaughter

Postby Melissa Doordaughter » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:00 am

Thanks Mo, he's a lot better now, running around, and also sleeping through the night again!

marvinuncleherbs

Postby marvinuncleherbs » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:20 pm

Consulting a physician is always a bright idea mom.

Return to “The Childbearing Year(s)”