Altitude Sickness

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MoonFairy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Altitude Sickness

Postby MoonFairy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:39 pm

Greetings, all,

Does anyone know of herbs or home remedies that help with altitude sickness? In a few months I will be moving from an elevation of 360 feet to 5,400 feet. I have visited the new location once and felt quite ill while there. This will be a permanent move and I know that altitude sickness is supposed to eventually go away as the body adapts. But I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it and with helping the body adapt more quickly. Last time I went to 5,400 feet I felt the usual symptoms of shortness of breath, nausea and vomiting, dehydration - dry mouth, total fatigue as if I were running even while lying down in bed, heart racing - pulses at 100 while at rest. I know 5,400 feet doesn't sound like much compared to higher elevations, but my body sure felt the difference. At a low elevation, my pulse is already on the high side (in the 90s at rest). I do have high CRP and asthma.

Does anyone have experience with altitude sickness? Does it go away once the body adapts?

Thank you!
MoonFairy

Lady Alinor

Re: Altitude Sickness

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:09 pm

My thoughts lean toward herbs that would assist getting oxygen to the body and brain. Herbs that assist the Lungs, expanding their ability to oxygenate the blood (Osha root ?), plus herbs that assist the hearts ability to pump the oxygenated blood.
If it were me about to move my first thought would be Hawthorne, (leaf, twig, flower and berry) to help the heart as well as the digestive system....may also be helpful for some types of asthma.
YOU need to match herbs to you and your constitution and the type of asthma.
Consider Liver supportive herbs and foods, help your system deal with the stress of the move and the effects of the altitude on your body and emotions.

I know what you are experiencing, I live at 723 feet, but camp and hike above 5000 feet.
Hawthorne is slow but a good worker, she knows her business and your needs, even on an energetic level.
Motherwort might be nice for some folks...Linden as well.

MoonFairy

Postby MoonFairy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:46 pm

Thank you so much for your reply, Lady Alinor. For some reason, I must have missed that anyone responded to my post. I have made the move and have been here a little over a year with altitude sickness getting better at times and worse at others. Motherwort is one of my favorite herbs! I will turn to it now knowing that it will also help being in a higher elevation. And I will try Linden as well. Thank you!

Tinctures

Postby Tinctures » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:06 pm

I've heard slippery elm is good for countering nausea.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”