Rufus's broken leg

Pass the Talking Stick and express yourself. Share thoughts, experiences, stories, songs, dreams, art. Discuss medical, political, scientific and other important issues.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

WhiteHorse

Rufus's broken leg

Postby WhiteHorse » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:00 pm

I am an equine podiatrist. Equine podiatry is science based holistic hoof care for the domestic horse. I live in a rural area and large animal vets are few and far between. Because of my knowledge and experience with horses, my clients and neighbors often call me to help.
On Monday my neighbor, Samantha called needing my help. Her mini Donkey had gotten run over and he leg was broken. This is a serious thing for an equine. There was no one available to come. The only option was to get him to the one emergency clinic over an hour away.
When I got there it was obvious that it was very badly broken. It was incredibly swollen and just flopped. Sam was calm and She had Rufus calm. Fortunately I had a half gallon of comfrey infusion in the fridge. I gave him some arnica, and applied the plant as a poultice and then wrapped cloths soaked in the cold infusion around it then vet wrap to hold it all in place. I then splinted it to try to keep it stable while we got him in the back of my car. Although he is a mini, he was quite heavy and we were unable to lift him. Just in time my other Neighbors were driving down the road and we hailed them down. The four of us, with the help of a make-shift sling, were able to get him into the back of the car. By the time he got to the vet, the swelling was almost completely gone. They x-rayed him and the young inexperienced vet said he should probably be euthanized. Then the senior Vet came in. She said although the break was bad (broken in two places), because he was small he could be put in a cast. So they set it and cast him. They expected that he would have to stay for at least a week, but he is doing so well that he gets to come home tomorrow! I attribute the speed to Comfrey. Sam has been going to see him twice a day and giving him comfrey, oat straw and nettles in with his feed. He will have a long recovery but so far things look very good!

Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Rufus's broken leg

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:13 am

Brings tears to my eyes!
Good job, Wise Healer!
Once he is home do you have enough comfrey for external application as well?

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:26 pm

He is in a full cast for now so no poltices or compresses on the area but She is feeding comfrey, oatstraw and nettles. He is doing amazingly well. The ride home was hard on him but he is bright eyed, engaging with everyone who visits and beginning to put weight on it when he walks around. None of the vets around here have any experience with what the plants can do. It will be fun to see their surprise when they take the next x-ray!

Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Lady Alinor » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:37 am

I have heard stories of folks dribbling Comfrey tincture down into the cast.

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:09 pm

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:01 am

So glad he is doing well!!!!!

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:57 pm

What a lovely story! I'm so glad he's doing well.

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:10 am

Cynthia101

Postby Cynthia101 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:09 am

Soo happy is keeping well and getting better :)

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:37 pm

unfortunatley, Rufus had to be euthanized. Although some healing had occured, the extent of his injuries were too severe.

Return to “The Talking Stick”