Essential oil usage

Pass the Talking Stick and express yourself. Share thoughts, experiences, stories, songs, dreams, art. Discuss medical, political, scientific and other important issues.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Essential oil usage

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:37 pm

With Essential oil use on the rise, some of that usage being INTERNAL, I thought we could share articles, thoughts, and experiences about EO's.

We are all aware of Susun's stance on Eo's even though she does mention and sometimes even suggest using them (even in her latest book 'Down There" she offers use and dosage, but never internal use!)
http://www.susunweed.com/herbal_ezine/J ... oddess.htm

http://www.susunweed.com/herbal_ezine/M ... health.htm

"Essential oils
Essential oils are concentrated oils obtained from aromatic plants by steam distillation or with chemical solvents. They are capable of killing normal as well as abnormal cells, and severely disrupting liver and kidney functioning. Essential oils are quite different from infused oils (which are made by steeping fresh plants in an edible oil). Essential oils can cause poisoning; infused oils cannot. Essential oils can’t be made at home; infused oils can. Essential oils can be costly (up to $300 per ounce); infused oils are reasonably priced (generally under $10 per ounce). Essential oils can irritate tender skin; infused oils rarely do. Essential oils are used in small amounts; infused oils are used lavishly.

Caution: Test your sensitivity before using essential oils. Put a drop of the oil on the sensitive skin inside your elbow. If your skin gets red or mottled, itches or burns in the next 12 hours, be very cautious with essential oils and certainly don’t use them on your breasts. My cat’s neck fur fell out after I anointed her chin with three drops of essential oil to (successfully) rid her of fleas!

Essentail oils of citrus, rosemary, lavender, marjoram, juniper, or clary sage—ten drops diluted in one ounce/30 ml of olive oil—have been used to increase circulation to the breasts, warm them, activate the immune system, and offer the healing benefits of their aromas as well."

Here is something frightening that I had no idea EO's could even do or cause:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10460442

ItalianBee

Re: Essential oil usage

Postby ItalianBee » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:10 pm

If you look at the list of herbs in the article, I'm not that surprised - several of them are high in thujone.

I've always been given to understand that essential oils should NEVER be used internally, and I say better safe than sorry!

Herbnut

Postby Herbnut » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:32 pm

The only one I know about that is safe to take internally, is oil of oregano, and I know it works! It must be diluted in a carrier oil.
WiseGuy

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:46 pm

I'm a bit on the fence about EO's, I have seen Lavender EO do some fantastic healing same with Tea Tree.
I can't imagine my first aid kit without either of them.

Then also I have seen abuses like the new craze of ingesting essential oils daily (a morning 'cleanse' routine using lemon EO and water), or how about mothers using aromatherapy to SEDATE their children because they make too much noise in the house and the weather won't allow them to play outdoors.
Then there are some people who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the stuff because no amount of cautioning gets through to them and the next thing you know she calls you complaining of burning skin because she used the whole bottle of Lavender EO in her bath AND she put her infant in the tub with her...DUH!!!!

Susun has said she would use pharmaceuticals before she would use Essential Oils, I dunno, more folks have died from pharmaceuticals then Essential oil use. I know its not just about the process/manufacture its also because of the sheer volume of plant material needed....but....

I live near an area that grows mint for industrial/cosmetic/food manufacturers, fields and fields of mint. Harvest time smells amazing!

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:49 pm

The Journal of the American Herbalists Guild ran an interesting Essential Oil story in their Spring 2015 issue.
"Essential Oils in the herbalist's Clinic"

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:30 pm

'Learning Herbs' is getting in on the Essential Oil discussion:
http://learningherbs.com/blog/essential-oils/

Essential oils are not a 'new' tool in the herbal kit or aromatherapy diffuser. The bible contains many references to these oils and they are listed over and over again in King's American Dispensatory.

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:32 pm

I feel that they are being over used and used by many people for a "quick and easy fix" to a problem. I personally fine them to be more irritating than useful with a few exceptions. i do like a few drops of lavender and frankincense in my bath. I prefer infused oils.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:41 am

Last year we adopted in some very young kittens two of which had respiratory infections, we put them in a carrier in the bathroom, with door open and I set a cat friendly EO (eucalyptus) to diffusing, it made a huge difference for the pair. (so many eo's are toxic to cats so glad I did my research)

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:05 pm

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:43 pm

I do still use them occasionally but with the awareness that they are more drug like in their action rather than nourishing, having been broken down to only one element.

Return to “The Talking Stick”