So Cold!

A place to share your life-changing experiences!

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Singingcrowsings
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

So Cold!

Postby Singingcrowsings » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:42 pm

Hi everyone!

I know it's typical to have hot flashes during both or either perimenopause and menopause, but I don't think I'm one of those people who get them. In fact, I get cold flashes, where my core body temperature is way down right to my bones. Sometimes a hot shower will help, but not all the time. And it seems to be triggered by having my place set at any temperature higher than 17˚C, which isn't very warm in the winter, nor for my visitors.

For me, I simply put on an extra layer and I'm fine at 17˚, but you'd think I'd be fine at a slighty higher temp, if wearing a sweater and slippers and sometimes a light scarf helps or even a toque at times when it's really bad, but no, a mere 1˚C higher triggers a crash in core body temp,every degree higher makes it that much worse, and it stays there many times until I'm well asleep at night. The sun going down also seems to be involved with this. I drink tea, have soups, exercise. Does anyone else have any ideas?

I've got my moods, my weight, my hair, my skin, my incontinence, my dizziness and heart palpitations back to normal. If I can figure this one out, I'll be good. LOL!

Do you get cold flashes too? What do you do?

Movlin

Re: So Cold!

Postby Movlin » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:43 pm

Thyroid?

That's the first thing that popped into my head - especially considering the other issues you listed (even though you have them under control). I would add some generous portions of kelp, or other seaweed, to your daily diet and see how your temperature does after about 2 weeks. I take 2 tbsp of dried kelp granules a day to give my thyroid the extra love it needs. Mood swings, dizziness, hair loss, weight gain, lowered core temp are all signs of a thyroid that needs some love (iodine).

Keep us updated!

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:03 pm

Thanks for answering Movlin!

The reason I ask here under the menopause section is I have been reading about others who experience cold flashes due to peri-menopause. They describe it exactly as I experience. My periods have diminished to almost nothing. I'm sure it won't be long before I start skipping them here and there. Too, I've noticed this tends to happen two weeks after my period, which puts a big spotlight on hormonal. It's happening right now, in fact.

I would totally agree, as far as the thyroid is concerned, since I was having thyroid issues in the past. Do be assured, I've made sure to include more iodine (lots of seaweeds everyday, and iodine sea salt instead of plain) and turmeric, which I believe was the biggest help. I suspect because from what I understand peri-menopause affects the thyroid? I still have a lot to learn as far as that is concerned. So, I have been taking care and paying attention to my thyroid for a couple years now.

I don't know if that's clear...?

Maybe I need to bump up the turmeric again (I used to mix it with raw honey and coconut oil to make it fast and easily accessible)? I've kept it in my diet, but not daily, like I had been doing.

Thanks again!

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:21 am

UPDATE!:

So, it turned out to be the hormones again. Many of the things I listed above, such as the dizziness, mood swings and heart palpitations, all went away very quickly when I started to eat the homemade miso I made last year (it takes a year to complete its fermentation process), and I hadn't had any for at least a week and a half. Miso has estrogens in it and help balance out the hormones, like yam does.

Right after I wrote the second response, I started getting dizzy spells and knowing the miso helped that, I took some, and by the next day, with the second serving, my core temperature went back up too.

Unfortunately, I am running low, so that's why I held off on using it, I didn't want to run out. And my next couple batches won't be ready for another 8-10 months (I made two after I discovered what it did for me). Hmm, Maybe I can steel some from a friend for now? She made some too. I'm making more in a few weeks, so I have some all year long.

I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to mix up a batch of turmeric, honey and coconut oil to take, just to keep everything in check.

So that's it!

Have a wonderful day!

marvinuncleherbs

Postby marvinuncleherbs » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:15 am

Sorry, My wife the cold spells sometimes but not the numbness. She have gad the tingling, Freaked her out the first time thought she was having a stroke or something.

Claire

Postby Claire » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:23 am

My mom did, but she took special medications and it was easier for her.

Return to “Menopause Metamorphosis”