So-Called Abnormal Bleeding

A place to share your life-changing experiences!

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
blissing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

So-Called Abnormal Bleeding

Postby blissing » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:57 pm

I've been told by my GYN that any bleeding at this point is abnormal and should be investigated. Here's my history:

I'm 52 years old

Five or so years ago: Uterine fibroids.

Two years ago: Heavy periods with extreme cramps. Went on pill for a year.

One and a half years ago: Hormonal levels tested. GYN said, "You are no where NEAR menopause."

One year ago: Went off pill. No periods until May, June, and July when I had the very faintest of bleeding exactly one month apart. Nothing since then.

A few days ago: Spotting, which is gradually becoming heavier.

I'd really like to avoid a uterine biopsy, which is what they wanted to do before my hormone blood tests 18 months ago.

How should I look at this "abnormal" bleeding which could just be the normal ups and downs of perimenopause?

Thanks so much.

Lady Alinor

Re: So-Called Abnormal Bleeding

Postby Lady Alinor » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:51 pm

Where's the 'abnormal' in this tale?
BC pill usage once stopped can cause a delay in menstruation for a bit.
Any other signs of a period?
I don't understand the 'abnormal'.
Are you sure its not just peri-menopause....where things are a changin' :lol:

blissing

Postby blissing » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:48 pm

Yes, this is why I said "so-called". And, my GYN said at this point, the current spotting is considered "abnormal" and I should go in. But, I'd rather not have a uterine biopsy, and further invasive things.

When I was having the heavy bleeding 2 years ago, the options where the pill or hysterectomy. I went for the pill at the time only because the thought of having another painful period like the last one was too much to take. It was the worst physical pain I'd ever felt, and I have high pain tolerance.

I'd much rather use natural methods, and I have the pain free time for that now. I agree with you that it just seems like the normal ups and downs of perimenopause.

I think my first step would be to get my hormone levels tested again if I feel the need to go in. Thanks!

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:13 pm

You do what you feel comfortable with. Normal for one person isn't normal for another, and we each have our own unique history.

But I can't help but wonder why the doctor isn't suggesting pelvic ultrasound? That's pretty non-invasive, much less invasive than a biopsy. Or have you already had one of those recently?

blissing

Postby blissing » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:53 pm

ItalianBee, thanks for reminding me of that other option. I last had an ultrasound 2 years ago, so I'm probably due. I actually can't quite remember why she wanted to do the biopsy 18 months ago, but I think it was because bleeding after menopause is considered abnormal. Then my hormone levels came back as not menopausal, so no need for the biopsy.

marvinuncleherbs

Postby marvinuncleherbs » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:13 am

If you are bleeding heavily you may have to use a large number of tampons or sanitary pads, or use both tampons and pads at the same time. You may experience flooding, when bleeding is so heavy it soaks through your clothes or onto bed sheets. There may also be clots in the blood. Seek medical advice if you have these signs of excessive or heavy bleeding.

gartenzwerg

Postby gartenzwerg » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:01 pm

How about changing the GYN? I wouldn't stay there.

Return to “Menopause Metamorphosis”