palpitations

A place to share your life-changing experiences!

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Contented Chaos
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

palpitations

Postby Contented Chaos » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi
I have been going through my journey with menopause for the last 10+ years. Started with a hysterectomy (also took my ovaries) 11 years ago. Six years ago I went through a melt-down year - palpitations, anxiety, major hot flashes, foggy brain, extreme tiredness, plus not wanting to do anything or be with anyone - it was a long year. Things settled down and for the last 5 years or so the only issue I had was hot flashes. Then this last April I melted down again - this time my thyroid went crazy - first becoming hyper then hypo. Palpitations driving me crazy. At one point in November the palpitations were so bad I went to the emergency room. They put me on a monitor and said I was having "pvc's" (premature ventricular contractions) and they were not life threatening and sent me home with some anti-biotics (said I had an infection). The pvc's calmed a bit but they come and go - I have about the same number of good days as bad. My question for the forum is: what have other women done to help calm the palpitations down? I take motherwort tincture 3 times per day (dropper full) and a few months ago I added 600 mg. of magnesium to my diet (using supplements) - I have just added another 100 mg. of magnesium oil. Since I started the magnesium I've noticed that the anxiety had pretty much gone and the palpitations aren't as strong. Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Contented Chaos

ItalianBee

Re: palpitations

Postby ItalianBee » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:53 pm

Have you tried hawthorn? That's the grandmama of heart herbs. It's one that you're not supposed to be on if you are prescribed beta blockers, because they increase the effect - and beta blockers are often prescribed for palpitations as well as for blood pressure.

Contented Chaos

Postby Contented Chaos » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:00 pm

I do take hawthorn - forgot to mention that. I take the tincture twice a day. The Dr. has given me a prescription for beta blockers but said only use it if necessary - didn't know that the hawthorn would increase the effect..... (Dr. knows that I take motherwort and hawthorn). I haven't used the beta blocker yet as I've heard lots of bad things about beta blockers - I was thinking that I would only use it if the palpitations were extremely annoying but now I will not. Thanks for the info!
CC

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:48 pm

Have you noticed whether the pvc's increase with certain foods/meals?
How much water do you drink daily?

I've noticed an uptic in palpitations when I'm short on hydration...hard cheeses can set them off..heavy meals....and hormone fluctuations...and things I haven't figured out yet. :roll:

When my heart is at its wonkiest I've found that physical activity will slow and sometimes even stop the palpitations. The more strenuous the better!

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:11 pm

Interesting you mention food triggering them, Lady A. I recently made some home made egg noodles with semolina for the first time. I wasn't sure the first time it set them off, but then I tried eating some on purpose to see if it was indeed them, and sure enough, it was!

Heart palpitations were one of the very first symptoms I had in the beginning of peri-menopause.

I've been on a strict no eating out plan, more for financial reasons, and I haven't had any since I began (msg might be a trigger for me as well).

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:05 pm

I think one of my triggers is corn :o
Like wheat and soy, corn is in everything these days. I made gluten free cornbread last night, my heart was in a CRAZY WIGGED-OUT pattern half the night, very exhausting.

A couple other things that I find helpful besides or along with the strenuous exercise is sometimes I can reset the rhythm by coughing and/or bearing down in the chest region...concentrating on my heart.
Make sense? Bearing down like trying to suppress a cough.

Hawthorn tincture 3x daily
Motherwort tincture as needed...often

I wonder if Hawthorn TEA/TISANE would work better for some folks.

Circulation herbs that are NOT stimulants?...hmmm

Contented Chaos

Postby Contented Chaos » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:10 pm

Thank you for your suggestions! I didn't want to admit it, but I've noticed that when I eat something sugary that the palpitations increase (darn, as I really like oatmeal cookies) :cry:
I'll need to keep a close eye on different foods - I've cut out dairy as I was having stomach problems - and the problems disappeared. I was wondering about corn also..... I drink herbal infusions daily - about 5+ quarts per week and also drink a lot of water, so I don't think I'm dehydrated. I've also noticed that when I exercise the palpitations stop (yea!) but when I try to relax at the end of the day they reappear. This may sound funny, but it's comforting to know that others have the same issues. I was feeling kind of alone and thinking that I couldn't do the things that I like to do anymore - I pretty much closed myself off the last 9-10 months and stayed home (except for work). Knowing that there are options and others that are out there trying different things (and letting others know what works for them) makes my heart feel good :P and gives me the wish to do things again!
I'll try increasing my Hawthorn and also keep better track of what I eat to see if there's something that's triggering the palpitations. I also think that there's hormones fluctuating and that I'm just taking another trip on the "hormone-a-coaster"
Thanks for any and all input!
Kathy

marvinuncleherbs

Postby marvinuncleherbs » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:11 am

Women and men can have heart palpitations. In healthy people, they are most common in perimenopausal and menopausal women as a result of fluctuating hormones such as estrogen and progesterone. Some perimenopausal and menopausal women suggest their palpitations occur during or after a hot flash.

lalacurf121

Postby lalacurf121 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:23 am

When my heart is at its wonkiest I've found that physical activity will slow and sometimes even stop the palpitations. The more strenuous the better!

Return to “Menopause Metamorphosis”