whats in your herbal fist aid kit?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
em8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

whats in your herbal fist aid kit?

Postby em8 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:05 pm

want to put together a herbal first aid kit but I am not 100% sure of what to put in it, any suggestions? :?

Melissa Doordaughter

Re: whats in your herbal fist aid kit?

Postby Melissa Doordaughter » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:14 am

My number 1 remedy is echinacea....

em8

Postby em8 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:55 am

What form is it in?
Also what would you use it for?
As you can tell I am a complete novice, all help greatly appreciated.

Melissa Doordaughter

Postby Melissa Doordaughter » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:44 pm

Hi em8

Echinacea tincture has a fantastic antibiotic effect, I tend to use for any major infection on long running sickness... it's made from roots that are at least 3 years old and generally taken in pretty high doses... about 90 drops 3 times a day for an adult.

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:14 pm

These have served me well over many years:

Taheebo (aka pau d'arco) - bark - 1 Tbsp in large pot of water, boil until caramel colour - great for anything respiratory

pine needles (I leave those on the tree until needed) - fresh, infusion - tons of vitamin C - I'm still learning about this amazing plant. I know Susun suggests the use of white pine, but here's a list of its healing properties: http://www.greenchedy.com/herbal-teas/h ... eedle-tea/

oregano - dried - tea - Kills fungus, bacteria, viruses dead, use very diluted tea in nettie pot. Some use oil of oregano, rub on soles of feet.

ginger - fresh or dried - tea - calms nausea, opens blood, lymphatic, respiratory system, kills viruses and helps calm chronic inflammation.

Raw honey - helps with constipation, anti-viral anti-bacterial, aids insomnia, and more EXTERNAL: speeds healing of wounds, excellent for burns (apply directly and right away)

Clay (French Green, or Calcium Bentonite)- powder - absorbs the virus and helps pull it out of the system -INTERNAL: great for food poisoning, food allergies, parasites, viruses
EXTERNAL: wet paste/mud - will help wound from being infected, promotes healing, provides support for ligament/ joint healing, calm inflammation, in bath will help pull out the nasties

Turmeric - powder or fresh, put in any food - antiviral, antibacterial, supports thyroid
EXTERNAL: stops wound infection

Stinging nettle Tea - asthma attacks, allergy attacks

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:58 am

Hi, em8! Here's my list, but I would really suggest that you do a lot of research on anything you want to add to your medicine chest and try it out in a lot of different ways. For example, I'm mentioning tinctures and syrups but you might want to use the herb in other mediums.

This is a toughie anyway, because what I'm stocking at any given time varies. Right now, thinking my way around the bathroom and the kitchen:

Valerian and skullcap tinctures, for when I can't sleep in the middle of the night.
St. Johns wort oil for aches - I put some cayenne in the last batch, and it sure doesn't hurt!
Echinacea tincture for immunity - I also have a Holy Basil tincture for the longer term, since I've been taught that as an immune stimulant echinacea shouldn't be used except when you are actively trying to fight something off.
Saw palmetto tincture for my husband's man stuff.
Motherwort tincture for various wonderful things.
Angelica syrup that I made quite by accident when candying angelica stems, but which is good for the reproductive system and the stomach as well.
Marshmallow syrup for stomach problems.
Chunks of ginger root in honey for stomachaches, nausea, or colds. I also keep some fresh ginger root in the fridge to make tea of when we feel sick.
Dandelion root tincture as an after-dinner bitter.
Red clover, nettle, and dandelion vinegar - here we get into the area of food-as-medicine - I put it on my salads and it is tonic.

I know there's more, but as I said it does vary!

Melissa Doordaughter

Postby Melissa Doordaughter » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:50 am

I'd concur with the wonders of Motherwort! A super herb I have used and gifted many times... I'd also add mullien flowers, we use them a lot for difficult coughs and sinus blockages in general.... after motherwort and echinacea, it's probably my most used medicinal herb.... Here we also use alot of homeopathic arnica gel..... and Aloe vera is a great friend too, though perhaps difficult to travel with!

AriaBeth

Postby AriaBeth » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:33 pm

Do not forget to include Arnica in the herbal first aid kit.Topical creme used for muscle pain or injury, bruises or any type of trauma. It greatly reduce healing time or bruises and sore muscles when used topically right after injury.
Not for internal use or use on open cuts.

em8

Postby em8 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:28 pm

Wow that has given me loads of ideas to be thinking on, thankyou all very much and to my surprise I have heard of most of them! I usually have arnica but I cannot get hold of it at the moment so would a cream out of comfrey oil be just as good? I have nettle tincture, meadowsweet tincture plus yarrow tincture. I am away to make plantain cream and chickweed cream ( not sure if cream is the correct term, its infused oil with beeswax) and I may be doing the same with the comfrey depending on views. Being unwell at the time of the Elderberry harvest this year I have had to resort to buying dried berries, any suggestions on the best way to use them as I usually make jam and cordial with them. Oh and I just remembered that I bought some dried Motherwort as well, can this be tinctured? Thankyou again for all the great advice and help x

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”