Did I make a mistake with my fire cider/ garlic extract?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tao89
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Did I make a mistake with my fire cider/ garlic extract?

Postby Tao89 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:49 am

Hello everyone! I'm so excited to be posting here for the first time:) I've really admired this community from afar and am just thrilled to finally post:) I was wondering if I could get some input on my first try at fire cider/garlic extract. I ended up putting raw honey in with the garlic and raw apple cider vinegar right away (the mixture has been sitting for about three weeks now, with fresh thyme in it as well), and I was noticing in every recipe I could find that people were putting the honey in AFTER the garlic and apple cider vinegar mixture had already been sitting for four weeks minus any honey. Is my extract going to be ok to consume? If anyone could offer me any guidance with this or share your experience, I would appreciate it so much:) Thank you all so much, and I'm really thrilled to meet everyone :D

NateFlory

Re: Did I make a mistake with my fire cider/ garlic extract?

Postby NateFlory » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:14 am

I have done that before, and generally my experience is that it's fine. Adding honey ahead of time is "more stuff in the cider" so perhaps -may- imact how much is infused from the other spicy hot things. Mostly the honey is added at the end from what I understand, to let the Cider infuse fully, and not get "gummed up" with the sugary sweetness of honey in there too. (because remember, the plant material will soak up the vinegar atthe same tiem they are releasing their "juice". Some of the sweet will get 'locked' in the rootstuffs when you strain it.)

As far as consuming it, I can't think of any comment or thread I've read in the past that would imply not to.

I say, Enjoy your Cider! :D

Tao89

Postby Tao89 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:45 am

Yay, thank you so much for your help and sharing your experience!! It's going to be ready soon and I can't wait to try it:)

Tao89

Postby Tao89 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:30 am

I have another question here if anyone can help. I just noticed that the container I used to make my fire cider isn't as air tight as I originally thought as it sort of leaked on me when I shook it up earlier. It's a small glass bottle with a plastic snap lid, like the kind you would use to store dressing. Is the not fully airtight-ness problematic? Trying to work out the kinks of this, thank you all for your help and guidance:)

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”