Black walnut dye

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
herbgirltam
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Black walnut dye

Postby herbgirltam » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:21 pm

Can anyone tell me if its safe to dye hair with black walnuts husks or hulls. Currently use henna and would prefer more brown tones indigo doesn't work even with salt added to it.I saw on the internet hair dyed with the black walnut hulls but am concerned about the safety of such.i would have to put it on my scalp to get the roots because my hair is pure white and i'm only 50?Concerned about the safety of it because i previously had cancer.The pic i saw of the girls hair dyed with the black walnut was a beautiful shade of brown. Thanks Tam

Lady Alinor

Re: Black walnut dye

Postby Lady Alinor » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:07 am

I know it dyes wool real nice...not really a brown more of a copper.

herbgirltam

Postby herbgirltam » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:42 am

Thanks for your reply lady Alinor i couldn't fine much online in regards to safety of the black walnut dye .i did find that some people use it to treat skin cancer it causes cell death.I tried it on my hair it dyed my hands and fingernails a fine shade of brown but didn't do much to tone down the henna. i might try it again in a more concentrated form or the powder you can buy online.I am not that concerned about it just get bored with the red sometimes even though i like it. :)

AriaBeth

Postby AriaBeth » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:49 pm

I used to mix my henna with a concoction of walnut husks. It darkened the mix but not very much.
Compared with black tea it definitely is more efficient for darkening though.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”