Who is your plant ally?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Melissa Doordaughter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Who is your plant ally?

Postby Melissa Doordaughter » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:09 am

My first plant ally would be the great apple tree.... It was years ago I had finished university and wasn't sure what to do with my life.... after a period of some months meditating and considering all the options I had this vision of a school in an apple orchard. It was such a serene and beautiful place, I decided to dedicate my life to manifesting that vision. That was back in 2003.

That vision has blessed me in so many ways. Because of that I started voluntary work on organic and biodynamic farms around Europe, learnt how fine fresh real food is, met soooo many wonderful friends.... even my husband... and now some 11 years later I have a teaching qualification, and 2 little orchards growing!

Now I just need to work with breathing with my ally! Funny how the simplest practise can be so difficult!

Lady Alinor

Re: Who is your plant ally?

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:18 pm

Spearmint was my first, my 'Gateway' :lol: to the herb world.
I was 12 and for some weird reason I knew Spearmint before I even touched her, tasted her, or smelled her (or slept with her under my pillow).
I would take her with us every time the parents moved us (sometimes 3 times in a school year). To this day I have Spearmint in my garden because she is a healer of body, mind and spirit. She brings a smile from the inside out....and the Bees love her too!

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:36 pm

I've been thinking about doing a "Plant Ally a month" thing.
The thought came to me a couple weeks ago while my husband and I were hiking a nearby mountain. A mountain that was covered with herbs, berries, and a stand of 'juniper' that hugged the mountainside (Juniper was about 6 inches at the tallest).
I got to thinking about how a year long Ally is difficult for me, my attention span is pretty short these days...lol... I can easily have a month long affair with a single herb, then choose another that will perhaps work with the last...or do the exact opposite...hmmmmm

Melissa Doordaughter

Postby Melissa Doordaughter » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:02 am

Yes, I'm similar, I tend to have lots of projects on the go all at once, and finish very little!

But sometimes health issues can direct us to maintain a link with a certain plant for a long time. For example, when my son was younger he had some skin issues and during that time we really deepened our friendship with "burdoctor", now I am having a few minor issues with recurrent mouth ulcers and as a result I am really coming to enjoy and appreciate sage...

I have used SSOO much echinacea in the few years I have studied herbs that finally I bit the bullet so to speak, and have begun to grow my own.... It's a really special and intriguing plant.... goddess willing if they grow well next year I will be able to make my first homemade echi tincture (that's when they complete their 3 year birthday)!

Also mullien now is a dear friend of mine, probably thanks to all the fog we get in this region in the winter, I have had to develop multiple treatments against coughs and sinus issues for my kids.... Now wherever I go I'm forever pointing to the edges of the roads and going "mullien!" "mullien!" I guess my friends have learnt to put up with that!

Any way, a year long ally could be great, after writing this post I made a point yesterday of going and breathing with the Granny Smith.... I don't know if I made 5 minutes but I'll try again today, it's also time to start harvesting the apples, I have already filled up my smelly wardrobe with crab-apples, now it smells SWEET. :D

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”