Artemesia

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Melissa Doordaughter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Artemesia

Postby Melissa Doordaughter » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:29 am

I brought a lovely artemesia plant, it's now growing happily in the garden.... Today I put a leaf in my tea.... Blgh!

What do you use artemesia for???? How do you prepare it???

GreenRaven

Re: Artemesia

Postby GreenRaven » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:23 pm

A little bitter, huh? ;)

I'm assuming we're talking about Artemisia absinthium, as I'm not familiar with other species.

It may well have other uses, but I know it being used for GI tract stuff, indigestion, stomachache, intestinal parasites.

I've just tinctured it. 1 -3 drops can help with stomach trouble (depending on the cause).

For a couple years I was very much drawn to it, and liked the flavor -- tincture diluted in water. Then after a bout of acute pancreatitis brought on by gallstones, I had my gallbladder removed. After that, my taste for it disappeared. Apparently my body knew I needed it for that.

Melissa Doordaughter

Postby Melissa Doordaughter » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:38 am

Thanks, that's really interesting... yes, I'm working with aretemesia absinthium.... So bitters for digestion huh? Do you know if there's any use for it fresh... teas or recipes????

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:22 pm

I've also used it as a tincture.
I think that if I were to use it as a tea I would perhaps add a bit of Dill or Fennel...using the entire combo as a digestive.

GreenRaven

Postby GreenRaven » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:41 am

Sorry, I don't know about using it fresh. I would imagine you can. I tried to start it from seed early this year in the ground (tiny seeds), but didn't get any. Later tried again in a tray in the kitchen window, and now I've got some nice plants in pots.

Melissa Doordaughter

Postby Melissa Doordaughter » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:39 am

Well I brought mine as a wee plant... I was at a talk on Saturaday, ran by a local lady who grows and sells medicinal herbs from seed... she suggested planting atremesia at the base of fruit trees to reduce problems with aphids and bugs.... apparently the trees absorb the bitter qualities of the artemesia ;) I might give that a go this spring....

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:20 pm

I've been falling in love with Artemisia. I first met mugwort twenty years ago, and since then I've discovered what a wide-ranging genus this is. Did you know that Tarragon is Artemisia dracunculus? I didn't!

Recently I started to wonder about absinthe, and I extracted Artemisia absinthium in brandy as a start; I somehow had the idea that Angelica was an ingredient in absinthe as well so I made a second extract using both (aerial parts not roots). I have been slowly drinking both in small quantities, as an after-dinner liqueur. It is very bitter but I have really come to like it, and I think it functions pretty well as a digestive bitter. Angelica is good for the digestion in itself.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”