Question about astragalus

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

ItalianBee
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Question about astragalus

Postby ItalianBee » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:56 am

I just spent a couple of days with my sister, on whose land I have a small garden plot. I harvested my 4-year-old astragalus root (which was a triumph and a celebration!), and it is now hanging up to dry. That plant and the other younger astragalus plants are all covered with seed pods, so I hung up the aerial parts of the one I harvested, so I can have the seeds as well.

The question I have: Does anybody know of any medicinal uses for the seeds, as opposed to the root, of astragalus? I can't find anything in my research, and there may be nothing, but it would be a pity to miss out.

Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Question about astragalus

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:30 am

ItalianBee, we think alike in not wanting to waste any part of a plant.
I looked up Astragalus+Traditional Chinese Medicine and this came up http://www.chineseherbshealing.com/milk-vetch-seed/
I'll be jotting this information down in my Chinese Materia Medica...whoops already there

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:40 am

Okay, my book states that Astragalus seed has a warm energy and sweet taste, seeds have an affinity for the Kidney and Liver meridians, useful for impotence, premature ejaculation, urinary incontinence, frequent urination, weak vision

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:45 am

This is a great article about Astragalus ROOT
https://www.indiadivine.org/content/top ... stragalus/

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:25 am

Thanks Lady A - what's the book that talked about the seeds?

I'll check out the article, but I'm pretty familiar with the roots and their uses.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:30 pm

The book is "Chinese Traditional Herbal Medicine vol 2" by Michael Tierra.

I did a web search using the pinyin name given for Astragalus seed in the Chineseherbshealing article link, Sha Yuan Zi (Sha Yuan Ji Li in Michael Tierra's book) and found many links and lots of interesting 'Pearls' to add to my Materia Medica.
A valuable research resource is tcmwiki.com and this one I visit often https://www.americandragon.com/Individu ... uanZi.html

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks!

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:29 pm

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:05 pm

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:45 am

k. I'm sure I can get some seeds somewhere. I haven't really looked.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”