Do you use mushrooms?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Allie
Site Admin

Do you use mushrooms?

Postby Allie » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:55 pm

This week on the Susun talks about mushrooms such as, Black Chanterelles, Golden Chanterelles and Fairy Chanterelles.

Have you ever used any of these or any other mushroom types?
.:*~*:._.:*~*:.
~* Allie *~
Wise Woman Team

Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Do you use mushrooms?

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:25 pm

I would love to take an ID class, even with a good book and the internet I don't trust my ID abilities. (we have several different mushrooms on the farm)
I have used Reishi mushrooms medicinally (purchased from Mt. Rose)

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:05 am

I've used reishi mushrooms, as well. However, just the other day I was on a week long walkabout and it became clear learning about mushrooms is something I will be learning about. I'm going to start with identifying the ones I have seen in person and go from there. I'm not in a hurry, the knowledge will settle in my brain better if I don't rush or force it.

I did notice I was repelled by some of the mushrooms I came upon, only to find later, they were poisonous, so I do trust my body's ability to recognise what will hurt and what won't. However it's good to have the intellectual knowledge, as well, including both digestive and healing information. I'm surprised by the vast variety!

Jarba Bean

Postby Jarba Bean » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:19 am

Mushroom identification was one of the first things I learned when we moved here to Sweden---since they are so abundant! There is a wonderful website here with very helpful mycologists.
Black chanterelles are called black trumpets here, we have yet to find any of those. Regular (golden) chanterelles are quite common here, we find them often. They are so SO good! Also in abundance are porcinis, although they have their good years and bad years. A few years ago my husband found a single chanterelle weighing almost 100 grams! It was huge! IMO, chanterelles are best fresh--but ceps (porcinis) are even better in taste once they've been dried. I make umami powder from whatever dried mushrooms we have. Love wild mushrooms, so full of minerals, trace minerals and even protein and vitamin c.
I don't know what fairy chanterelles are? Do you have the Latin name?
Fall is my favorite season in Sweden. Bring on the mushroom hunt!! :)

GreenRaven

Postby GreenRaven » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:59 am

My Swedish mushroom memory is from a hike up a hill somewhere -- I can't remember the name of the place now. I had gotten ahead of my friends and became aware of a strong smell in the woods. Being familiar with mushrooms, I had an idea what it might be and went off the trail. Sure enough, I found a stinkhorn, the first I had seen in person. Other than that, all my mushroom experience is in the US. Lots of golden chanterelles in Oregon, too, and yes, very good. And cepes, which I think of as boletes, are better dried in my opinion, too -- and then they are really good -- lots of umami. I've gathered "Oregon reishi", and tinctured them. I can't remember the latin name right off hand, but it's the same genus as the Asian reishi. Last year some neighbors cut down some European birch, and a big branch fell in our yard. I stood it outside the backdoor with the idea of making something with it. Many months later, I was shocked to see turkey tail mushrooms growing on it. Cool, medicine growing outside the back door. Those got tinctured, too. The best advice I know about picking mushrooms is to learn how to first identify the ones in your area that can make you really sick, or kill you. There aren't that many, and if you avoid those, mistakes won't be serious. (And only a few of those would tempt you to eat them anyways.) Then learn some easy-to-identify species. And check every one you pick so you don't make a mistake.

Jarba Bean

Postby Jarba Bean » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:57 am

Stinkhorn---is that the one that looks like a slender, tall and pale stalk of asparagus (sort of) and stinks worse than an overflowing outhouse?? The first year we hunted here we came across a few of those, they had tons of flies on them. I will never forget that smell. Putrid!
Chagas grow on dead or dying birch, too!
I agree with your mushroom ID'ing tips. That is precisely what we did first, learned the toxic ones then moved on to the easiest to identify (the ''sopps' or 'sponges'--no toxic ones here). Then worked our way up from here. We haven't been out much this year but 2 weeks ago found a nice batch of trattkantereller or funnel chanterelles with tons of babies we are going back for ;) Also a nice cauliflower mushroom. I love mushroom hunting, it's like nature's yard sale----you never know what you are going to find!

Ah, yes GR---I remember reading some of your posts where you mentioned Sweden. Are you Swedish? Did you just live here for a while? I find a bit of synchronicity here, I was born and raised in LA but lived in Oregon most of my adult life. Oregon is the home of my heart :)

Melissa Doordaughter

Postby Melissa Doordaughter » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:05 am

The only mushrooms I have any real experience with are psyilocybin libertas.... liberty caps.... beautiful little golden mushrooms, sacrament to the goddess, each on e complete with nipple!

They grew all around my university campus (no coincidence that it was a THEOLOGICAL college!) and helped my explore greatly the mysteries of Kali, the sacred dance between her and Shiva, as well as helping me release past anxieties and move on from the past. It's not a plant to be taken lightly, though one of the great things about these, as with so many psychoactive plants, is the profound sense of humour that they bring, these little beings find all our human dramas just hilarious....

MMMMMM mushroom season in Sweden, you lucky devil! I used to have great fun picking mushrooms in Finland, my favourite is the Chanterelle.... I'm not sure what health benefits it has though.... and whilst in the forest there I did some VERY tentative experiments with flygaric, amanita muscara.... by very tentative I mean really I nibbled a tiny piece smaller than my little finger nail.... and decided that I would find a gentler way to contact the forest dwellers!

Jarba Bean

Postby Jarba Bean » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:41 am

GreenRaven

Postby GreenRaven » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:38 am

Jarba Bean, yes, stinkhorns smell really bad. Rather interesting to find, but not something I'd want to spend time around. ;) I love mushroom hunting, too -- tromping through the woods and finding little treasures. I spent a summer in Sweden long ago, after learning Swedish at the University of Oregon.

Melissa, I found those growing in planters on a downtown mall when I was in college. Some long-haired guy asked me what I was doing when I was surreptitiously picking them. I suspected he'd want them, so I told him I was hunting for slugs. :)

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:38 pm

When I was growing up my parents used to take us on mushroom hunts in the woods; we'd take the mushrooms home and eat them for dinner that night. The only one I got confident of identifying was chanterelles (the golden kind) - they were so totally yummy, absolutely fresh. I can't even imagine eating them dried.

Since then I've learned to identify Chaga, and I have a big lump of it in my apothecary chest; I grate some into a little teabag to put into soups, along with astragalus root slices, and remove when the soup is ready.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”