Fresh comfrey leaf infusion

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
NiklasTyreso
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fresh comfrey leaf infusion

Postby NiklasTyreso » Fri May 25, 2018 6:03 pm

I may start using comfrey infusion once a week from fresh plants during summer and autum when it grows just about everywhere.

Is it as safe/risky to use the fresh comfrey plants as dry plant material?

Niklas
Sweden
I am a Scandinavian herbalist and a man, in search for more wisdom.

NiklasTyreso

Re: Fresh comfrey leaf infusion

Postby NiklasTyreso » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:07 am

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:05 pm

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:23 am

Comfrey is a tough one to advise on, individual choice with research and it sounds like you are doing yours.
Something I have read many times, Susun may have even said as much, comfrey combined with another herb such as plantain or calendula can temper the possible damaging effects of comfrey (I think Henriette Kress also mentions this?)
I'm a huge fan of external use of the leaf, amazing healer/mender.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:23 am

Robin Rose Bennett just shared a YouTube video about Comfrey
https://youtu.be/Gcr4LBYHk-I

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:20 am

Niklas, regarding Marian Thistle aka Milk Thistle aka Silybum marianum, it doesn't extract well in water, it does extract, but the best results are seen when used as a food or tincture...food/ground and stirred in water or juice and drank, or ground and cooked with grains...after soaking overnight, the seed husk is real hard)
I'll look for sources...
(I think I read that there is a process to make MT more water soluble, many commercial products available.)

NiklasTyreso

Postby NiklasTyreso » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:33 pm

Tanks for your answers! :)

Both comfrey and plantain contain allantoin so I have collected as much plantain I could. Now I drink plantain tea once a week.
Plantain is safe but much harder to collected in large amounts.

I am aware that Maria thistle seeds should be extracted in fat for best hepatoprotective effect, but...

I saw a tv program about the "Blue zones" where people have very good longevity and they mentioned that it was a common practice among Sardinian elders to drink Maria thistle leaf tea.
I tried it and like it.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:06 am

Mmmmm I hadn't even considered the LEAVES for tea! Food, yes but leaf tea...I will have to try that.
The last two previous years we grew the thistles, this year the chickens got into the garden and they wiped out all of the baby thistles along with teasel, holy basil....anything young and tasty got devoured....they didn't care for the lemon balm.

Niklas...what about Lemon balm? Lemon balm is Liver protective, I don't recall if it also repairs damaged liver tissue...tasty, easy to grow (invasive in fact lol).

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:22 pm

And what about dandelion, which is tonic for the liver?

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:04 pm

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”