A Plant At A Time Series- from the Archives

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

A Plant At A Time Series- from the Archives

Postby Lady Alinor » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:35 am

Back in the 'Days of Olde' Forum LadyB aka Barbara Hall started a series of discussions dealing with one plant at a time, kind of an informal monograph of the plant, we discussed Yarrow, Nettles, Chickweed, Burdock, Violet, Goldenrod, Teasel, White Pine (fun!) and many other wonderful Plants.
I have not checked to see that all of the links are working, so far they are.

http://web.archive.org/web/201308222012 ... 19&t=16481

kmartin60

Re: A Plant At A Time Series- from the Archives

Postby kmartin60 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:37 pm

Thank you so much for resurrecting this series Lady Alinor! This series has so much great and useful information~ Will def. be scouring thru the threads... :)

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:22 am

I've been working with herbal syrups lately, I'm thinking a lot of the plants discussed might make interesting syrups to be taken in 1/2 -1 tsp dose syrups, not pancake, haha, although Violet Pancake Syrup might be divine!
Chickweed syrup for example.....hmmmmm?!
White Pine syrup is amazing and addictive!

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:29 pm

Lady, do you make your syrups with sugar or honey? I'm going to work with honeys and vinegars this season. I focused on tinctures and some oils last year. I definitely need a lot more yarrow tincture!

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:34 am

I use Honey, raw honey.

Syrups are such an easy way to take herbs, especially less than tasty herbal formulas are much easier to take in syrup form.
I have read that real Maple syrup is a popular sweetener for herbal syrups. Something to consider...hmmmmm which herbs go well with maple ?!

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:13 am

I have a friend that taps maple syrup. I am able to get as much as I want from her. I don't know if it has the preservation abilities of honey though

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:51 pm

'Sugar' is a great preservative.....I still keep my syrups in the refrigerator whether sugar, honey or glycerine is used (not a fan of glycerine 'sweet'), I create 'seasonal'/ailment specific type syrups so they get used up pretty quickly so Maple syrup is an option being as how after opening it's 'good' for several months, refrigerated (real maple syrup).
I'm wondering if storebought REAL Maple syrup is actually real. Last Spring we had our usual ant parade in the kitchen, we quit fighting them years ago, to encourage them to stay out of our prep area I placed honey, maple sugar, and syrup (purchased from a guy who claims he taps his own trees ) on the counter near my apothecary area, they took to the honey and piled bits and bobs of stuff they had found amongst my jars on top of the maple sugar and syrup, treating the sweets like a garbage pile....they policed my apothecary and tidied it...blows me away!
I'm looking forward to the ants Spring visit, kind of like family coming to stay for a week lol

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:04 pm

What a great story about the ants, Lady A! :lol:

I'm thinking of making a bunch of herbal honeys - infusing the herb in the straight honey - rather than the way I've made syrups in the past. I have a jar of Angelica honey that is more liquid than the honey by itself, and which has already lasted several years. So it occurred to me that I could just do that.

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:44 pm

Bee, I am going to do the same thing this year. I made lots of tinctures last year and will continue to make more of them, but I love honey and its healing ability is like magic to me. I've already started buying as much local honey as I can so that I'll be ready when the plants start coming up!
I love the ant story too!

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”