Splinter: will it work its way out, or should I force it?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
red willow
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Splinter: will it work its way out, or should I force it?

Postby red willow » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:55 am

I got a wood splinter in my finger yesterday. It's too far in to take out with tweezers. I remember from my childhood, in a house with splintery floors, being advised that splinters would work their own way out. But is that true? I've soaked my hand in warm water a couple of times, and I have a blister forming around the splinter, but it doesn't seem to be coming out. Should I wait a while longer? Try to dig into my skin with a pin (I remember my mom doing that when I was about 8 years old and got a deep splinter in my foot)? Something else?

ItalianBee

Re: Splinter: will it work its way out, or should I force it?

Postby ItalianBee » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:11 pm

I have had splinters that worked their way out, but on the other hand I might worry about infection if you leave it in there.

And my mother always used a needle, which she held over a flame to sterilise - she said that pins might be partly composed of brass, which was not good to prick yourself with. Now I don't have any idea where she got that, and given that I am in my 60's it may no longer be true, but I have always stayed away from pricking myself with needles!

In your positition what I might be tempted to do is open it up with a razor blade and then try a needle. But I am no doctor and I don't know what a doctor would say.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:45 am

Red Willow, how goes the splinter?

Old Timers used to use warm Pine Sap to draw out splinters.......Plantain (Plantago spp.) poultice might work too, just keep applying it.

Kazina

Postby Kazina » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:29 pm

I know this topic is old but I want to post because there is more to say about it. I have heard good things about plantain also and it's so widely available in most people's backyards. another great remedy for drawing out things that don't belong is castor oil as it is said to have a penetration and extraction power of about 4 inches of depth

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:35 am

Right On! Castor Oil! Great suggestion!

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”