Tea

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
OldArtist
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tea

Postby OldArtist » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:00 pm

I have a cabinet full of boxes of herb tea. It is a bit of a nuisance to have to boil water, everytime I want a cup. I wonder if I put a bag in a cup of cold water, to brew over night, would it still give me the same herbal benefits as hot brewed?

ItalianBee

Re: Tea

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:23 am

That probably depends on the herb. But people do make "sun tea" without boiling water, so it might work. I know that I prefer to pour the water over the herb rather than dunk the herb, because it brings out the taste better in my opinion (the extra pressure of the water on the herb).

But also, what I've been taught is that herb tea made in the conventional way, i.e. a bag in a cup, isn't strong enough to give real therapeutic benefits anyway. I'm not sure that's 100% true - hot gingerroot tea with only about a tablespoon of the fresh root does help me with feelings of nausea, for example, and the taste of some teas is therapeutic in itself. Still, I would consider making a stronger infusion (like 1 oz. dried leaf or flower to a quart of water, or 1 oz. dried roots to a pint of water - but different herbalists would vary that).

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:18 pm

Good suggestion on the infusion ItalianBee!

I'd like to add that some herbs do impart their gems better into cold water than hot, Burdock root for instance, and other herbs definitely need the boiling water to unlock the treasures.

NiklasTyreso

Postby NiklasTyreso » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:23 pm

Boiling water kill any bacteria that might be in the water or on the herbs.
I am a Scandinavian herbalist and a man, in search for more wisdom.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:23 am

If someone is using 'unsafe' water then yes, boil everytime! Fer sure!
Bacteria on the herbs? Well...we need good bacteria for good gut health and plants (that have been harvested from 'clean' environs) are a natural way of maintaining our digestive colonies.

Boiling water on some plant parts can/will permanently lock up the medicinal constituents that we are trying to release.....let me find a couple sources BRB

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:58 pm

Okay, I think Michael Moore was the person that mentioned using cold water to infuse some herbs, I'm still looking for the exact quote.
(Once the herb has infused then strain and add additional herbs, bring to a boil...)

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”