Other herbs for intestinal distress?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

Earthwriter

Other herbs for intestinal distress?

Postby Earthwriter » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:33 pm

Ugh...I won't go into details for my own sake, but I did bad food combining a couple days ago and my sensitive delicate stomach is painfully paying the price. waaaaa *sniff* :( I eliminated and tossed my cookies and have a hot water bottle on my tum, took charcoal and a probiotic and peppermint...all I can do is wait...but the trapped gas is driving me nuts and making me miserable...I did some yoga the cobra to help but I felt dizzy and my head hurt worse so I couldn't do it long...I know this too shall pass, but other than my Magick healing wand...is there anything else I can do to feel better? Thankfully I slept last night and I was able to drink some peppermint tea and thankfully this doesn't happen often, but when it does, OMG...I just want to leave my body...I've been crying a lot. I'm a vata dosha, very sensitive Ayurveda dosha body type. While it's not this bad everyday, I do suffer from regular intestinal difficulties and I'm doing what I can to restore my friendly flora and heal, but I am at my wit's end. I take daily probiotic, I eat very well. I treat my body with tlc and I'm very gentle...I'd go see a naturopath or HHP to seek help, but I'm between a rock and a hard place...I'm not able to and my stupid state insurance won't cover it...long painful story...I'm not asking for medical diagnosis, but I'd very much appreciate some helpful kind caring support and healing suggestions, please.
Mystical Holistic Natural Living Writer

Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Other herbs for intestinal distress?

Postby Lady Alinor » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:08 pm

So sorry about your belly ordeal...I hate that when it happens to me.

Ginger is an amazing herb for 'Bad food combining', Ginger tea, Ginger tincture, Candied Ginger (my favorite!!!)
As Michael Tierra has said "Ginger is truly a medicine chest in a jar"...ginger jar.

Herbnut
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Herbnut » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:40 pm

WiseGuy

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:18 am

I eat candied ginger every day, I find I actually get a 'boost' from it...maybe working on the longevity angle...lol
I simmer...at a very low heat setting...sliced ginger in raw honey until crystallized, this can take a while (don't want the honey to get too hot and kill it), so don't forget about it.
I do have a very good 'Medicinal' Ginger Bread/Cake recipe.
This is great for dessert after a meal that is kind of fat heavy....
Ginger helps us digest fats, right ? So Ginger bread is good for one and all any time of year! lol
I currently have a lap of sleeping kittens, best to let sleeping kittens sleep, so I will share the recipe in a bit...lol

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:38 pm

Speaking of ginger, I have a recipe that doesn't require any heating but does take time - as in a couple of weeks. Peel and slice fresh ginger root, put it in a jar, pour honey over it, stopper it tightly, leave to infuse! Both the pieces of ginger and the honey end up delicious.

Herbnut

Postby Herbnut » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:53 pm

Thank you both! I am going to make some.
WiseGuy

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:01 pm

ItalianBee....That sounds delicious! So many possibilities!

I had a heck of a time finding the note book with the Ginger bread recipe.
It Is amazing how 6 kittens in the house can totally turn ones world all around...little devil kittens!

Gingerbread
2 cups unbleached white four (or Gluten Free flour blend + 1/2 tsp xanthum gum if desired...not really needed)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger*
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup crystalized ginger, chopped
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup water
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 Tbls. vinegar and milk to make 1 cup)

*can use 3 Tbls. fresh minced ginger instead of 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger.

1) Grease and flour 9 inch sq. pan. preheat oven to 350
2) whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and crystalized ginger .
3) melt butter, add molasses ( and fresh minced ginger if using) and pour both into dry ingredients. mix to moisten.
4) add water. Stir. Whisk egg into buttermilk and stir into batter.
5) pour into prepared pan. Bake 30-35 mins. bread will pull away from sides of pan.
6) cool 15 minutes before cutting

This is so health-ful after a fatty meal....or it can be eaten before the meal....lol

Nuts, candied fruit, raisins...chocolate chips can be added along with the dry ingredients.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:20 pm

Lady A, I have a gingerbread recipe that I love, but I will definitely try this one - the crystallised ginger sounds as if it would make it absolutely fantastic!

Greenwitch

Postby Greenwitch » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:12 pm

Oooh intestinal distress is so awful!

I like dandelion for tummy trouble--especially as a preventative. Here's one article about it:

"Ingesting the leaves increases hydrochloric acid in the stomach, sends messages to the liver to prepare for digestion, increases the appetite and prepares the liver to break down fats. The more bitter the better for these functions! "

http://www.susunweed.com/herbal_ezine/M ... mother.htm

I also personally find that a cup of roasted dandelion root tea helps my stomach when I'm feeling gassy and bloated, AND makes me feel calm and centered energetically. She is my best plant ally!

I hope you are able to get your guts in order soon, and not have more awful upsets like this one. :D

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:29 pm

Greenwitch....Great tip/suggestion! Bitters are Boss!

Rosalee de la Foret has been sharing some wonderful Bitters recipes, some using Dandelion...Elecampane, Orange
Roasted Dandelion is good, we use plain dandelion root and burdock before meals (decoction).
The leaves we blanch and freeze for Tonic soups...Yum!

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”