Flu and Cold Remedies

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

Greenwitch
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Flu and Cold Remedies

Postby Greenwitch » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:58 pm

Oh I never even THOUGHT of mullein syrup! My wife has asthma and when she gets colds they go straight to her lungs! She won't drink herbal tea but I bet I could get her to try a home made "cough syrup". I harvested a HUGE mullein plant this summer and dried all of it, and haven't used it yet. Maybe I'll try this!

Elderberry extract is my favorite--I use Kiva Rose's method to make it and it does seem very helpful. Here's the recipe:
http://bearmedicineherbals.com/elder-mo ... lixir.html

I use the dry berries and fill the jar about 1/3, as she suggests, and it's very effective.

Herbnut
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Herbnut » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:35 pm

I have found that diet is a big key factor in staying healthy and keeping a good immune system up. Two things that my dad and I found was to stop drinking milk, and processed foods. What we eat has a lot to do with our day to day health.

Also If we feel like we are getting sick, the first things I turn to is "Oil Of Oregano", also "Colloidal Silver".
WiseGuy

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:57 am

Greenwitch

Postby Greenwitch » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:59 am

ItalianBee I prefer Brandy as well! It seems remedies made in brandy are ... kinder and gentler. Or something. :)

Though I DO like to use Scotch when the preparation is for magic more than it is for medicine (although most herbal things end up being both and more, don't they????). Something about that smoky taste ...

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:04 am

I've never tried Scotch for extracts - now you've got me thinking....

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:01 pm

For higher alcohol content there are some pretty tasty Spiced Rums!

Greenwitch

Postby Greenwitch » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:45 am

Oh I bet a spiced rum would be nice for a cold formula--the spices would add so much warmth! I know a splash of spiced rum is delicious in a strong elderberry tea, with honey, when you're all congested, so why not just extract right into it? I wonder, do you think the spices would effect the saturation point of the alcohol? It's probably such a small amount it wouldn't matter . . . especially if the spices are added during fermentation rather than after.

Oh the possibilities for witchy brews!

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:58 am

Good point about alcohol saturation...would be a pity if the distiller used up all the 'space'...I wonder how Spiced Rum is made, I wonder if the spice is real or chemical (maybe a youtube video can answer my question).

Greenwitch

Postby Greenwitch » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:07 am

I'm sure it depends on the distiller! There's an amazing spiced rum made by one of our local breweries with orange peel, cinnamon and cocoa nibs. THOSE are added whole during the fermentation process--so I imagine it would make an amazing (and somewhat expensive!) cold elixir.

As usual, I guess one would need to research specific brands / varieties.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”