Endometriosis BCP and vitex

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mmd2240
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Endometriosis BCP and vitex

Postby mmd2240 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:44 pm

Hello herbal friends!

I have been very interested in putting myself on vitex. Unfortunately I have endometriosis and while I believe Ive learned that vitex can be useful for that I also have to take the birth control pill for now, until I can get my surgery. Ive also read that vitex is contraindicated with the BCP so this is what Im wondering. Is vitex contraindicated with oral contraception only because it makes the pill unreliable for birth control? Or is contraindicated for some other reason? I dont need the birth control pill for contraception I only take it for extreme menstrual pain and heavy bleed and it would be self destructive for me to go off it at this point. I hate it but I only need it until my surgery next year. Thank you! :)

Lady Alinor

Re: Endometriosis BCP and vitex

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:53 pm

Susun's book "Down There, Sexual and Reproductive Health The Wise Woman Way" has a chapter on Endometriosis and I don't see a mention of Vitex at all there. However she does say this about Shiitake Mushrooms "inhibit endometrial cell growth and may inhibit endometriosis too".

The only cautions I've seen regarding birth control pills and Vitex is that as you stated the Vitex causes the BCP to be less effective.
Vitex is used to prepare the womb for pregnancy and manage/regulate hormones so I wonder if it could antagonize the BCP and cause some other issues?

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”