Which oil is the best oil?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Which oil is the best oil?

Postby Lady Alinor » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:08 pm

I'm putting this question out there:...

What is the best oil to use for infusing herbs, roots and barks?

I ask because of a couple of conversations about Sesame oil vs. Coconut oil vs. Olive oil.

I had never considered the energetics of the oil when making infused oils, as a cp soapmaker I do know that different oils produce/provide different aspects of itself to provide suds, moistening/drying, hardness....

Any thoughts?

ItalianBee
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Which oil is the best oil?

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:19 pm

I have come to prefer olive oil the vast majority of the time. I can't quite say why, but it does last a long time and it feels like an old and authentic kind of oil to me. When I was learning to make herbal oils 20 years ago, all the recipes i found said to use sweet almond oil; now that's a very nice oil, but it's expensive, and I don't think it lasts as long as olive (others may have a different experience). But mostly, I have a lifelong relationship with olive oil and it just feels real to me. Plus it doesn't add as much of itself to the concoction as, say, sesame oil would.

Herbnut

Postby Herbnut » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:24 am

I have been using coconut oil, I buy mine in bulk from Costco, so its a good deal and I get a lot of it. Also coconut oil has some good antibacterial properties, which I think enhances what ever your infusing.
WiseGuy

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:24 pm

Herbnut...and Coconut oil is COOLING, which lends itself nicely to irritated tissues inside and out.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:23 pm

I've been reading up on the external uses of SESAME OIL.
Sesame oil is WARM or WARMING so useful for joints affected by cold, and one of the benefits of sesame is that it and whatever it is infused with are easily absorbed by the skin. Sesame penetrates deeply.
Sesames warming abilities should be taken into consideration if a person tends to be 'warm' or 'hot' in constitution because the oil can increase those tendencies.
Interesting!

Italianbee...I've always been an Olive oil fan too but its getting harder and harder to find true unadulterated olive oil....I will not allow canola in my home and that seems to be what so many 'olive' oils are cut with.
Have you tried using Slippery Elm bark, as a stablizer, in your preparations (ala Jim Mcdonald)? I've been experimenting with it and my only complaint would be the 'maple' scent it gives...lol...

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 am

Lady A, just curious, why don't you allow canola oil in your home? I don't use it for herbal preparations but I've always found it useful in cooking.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:18 am

ItalianBee, I'm trying to avoid GMO's....I know, nearly impossible, but I am trying.
The way I heard it....
Canola aka Canadian Oil is a GMO in that Rapeseed has been genetically altered to remove MOST of a toxic substance called Erucic acid, for whatever reason not all of the erucic acid is removed so the oil is still considered toxic.
I heard a story, don't know if it is true.....Canadian canola producers approached the FDA asking to market their new oil to US consumers and after a palmed $500,000 Canola oil is on store shelves.
We are a very special collection of teeny tiny cells, cells that are nourished by even smaller minute nutrients, so to my thinking even consuming the smallest amount of a toxic substance can have a HUGE impact on a single cell that can have an affect on the cell next to it and the one beside that one and ....on and on into a state of disease/imbalance.
Paranoid? Probably lol

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:17 pm

I see. It's so hard to check everything out!

Allie
Site Admin

Postby Allie » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:52 pm

I personally Love Sunflower oil. So nice and light.
.:*~*:._.:*~*:.
~* Allie *~
Wise Woman Team

Kezzie

Postby Kezzie » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:19 pm

I still use olive oil 99% of the time. I always have - just like it and am the most comfortable with olive oil. That being said, I will use coconut oil in some instances. I do like it - I just don't like it for everything.

Lady A - look to California for your pure, unadulterated olive oil. There is no sense buying what is passed off as imported from Italy. Often enough those bottles don't even have olive oil in them. Just a blend of other oils from other countries that the wording of the law allows to be passed of as olive oil. It is also very often quite outdated when it arrives on our shelves.
The California olive oils I have tried are amazing, and organics are very available.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”