Burdock seeds?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ItalianBee
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Burdock seeds?

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:12 pm

I have managed to gather just a few burdock seeds this year, from a plant on the grounds at work that I am sure will be dug up as soon as maintenance figures out that it's there. Now I'm not sure what's the best use for them. Any references I can find lump them in with the roots, but have any of you found specific uses for the seeds? And is vinegar a good menstruum?

NateFlory

Re: Burdock seeds?

Postby NateFlory » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:18 am

I personally have never used the seeds other than "crafts" (aka: sticking the burs together into a huge ball and painting it as a garden ornament somewhere I know it won't re-grow in the spring. :P ) and mainly use the roots, but I vaguely recall hearing or reading something about tincturing the seeds once removed from the burrs. I can't find the link now, though, unfuortunately...

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:01 pm

Susun's "Healing Wise" states: seeds a 'Loving friend' to the urinary SYSTEM, tincture 20-160 drops a day and burdock SEED infusion 1/2-3 cups daily (gring 35-40 seeds and steep in 1 cup boiling water until cool) the infusion is used more for smooth skin, fevers, skin issues, chronic lung and joint problems and burdock seed is nourishing.
Here on the farm Burdock self-sows at will UNLESS I get to her first!!!! She took over our back yard the last two years, fingers crossed I have THAT nipped in the bud. She also decided to come up in the Lavender garden, Lavender will not flower beside Burdock!
I very carefully move the flower stalks just before the seeds ripen and toss them where I would like them to be... FAR from the yards and gardens lol

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:15 am

Thanks, Lady A. I will see how many seeds I have and try the infusion. I don't have very many so it won't last me long! The trouble is that around here all the people who own land (of which I am not one, I rent an apartment) see burdock as a weed and get rid of it before I can do anything. There used to be a nice stand by our back fence but our landlady got rid of them all.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”