Making A Salve, How Much For 1 Cup?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Herbnut
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Making A Salve, How Much For 1 Cup?

Postby Herbnut » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:58 pm

I want to make a small batch, does this sound like enough herbs for 1 cup of oil? The recipe I have is

1C Oil,
1TBSP Arnica
1TBSP Cayenne,
1TBSP Ginger,
1/4C Beeswax.
WiseGuy

Lady Alinor

Re: Making A Salve, How Much For 1 Cup?

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:48 am

Personally I would work with those herb to oil proportions and the beeswax looks good.
I like to start with (by weight) 1 1/2 oz. beeswax To 1 pint oil.

I recently saw a recipe like yours but with the addition of Turmeric....hmmm except for the arnica I could eat the salve lol spread it on toast! lol

Herbnut

Postby Herbnut » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:03 pm

WiseGuy

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:50 pm

You might do better by making small batches of other herbed oil then blend together to desired strength.
The current batch of oil can only absorb so much, anything more would be a waste of product.

Ratios, it depends if I'm just winging it then I just cover the herb in oil, let it soak overnight then I add more oil to cover and then I use the double boiler method for the extraction (REAL slow).

Herbnut

Postby Herbnut » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:26 pm

My only problem with making a bunch of oils for salves is the shelf life. I will be making it for myself and my dad.
I was planning on using a slow cooker, the one I have is a little too big, and my "Little Dipper" ones are way too hot.
WiseGuy

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:25 am

If I'm using dried herbs I usually fill my container 1/3 full of the herbs, then up to the top with oil. Fresh, I fill the container loosely with the herb, then up to the top with oil. In both cases stir and poke around to make sure there are no air bubbles and everything is completely covered. I make oils with dried herbs a lot more often than with fresh, so I'm more confident of the first recipe.

I don't heat my oils at all, just let them sit for 3 - 6 weeks. And I do make each one separately and mix them, but lots of people do it the other way.

Play around with the beeswax too - I personally like what you quoted, 1/4 cup beeswax to 1 c oil, but I've had good luck with a little more beeswax too.

Herbnut

Postby Herbnut » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:46 am

WiseGuy

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:19 pm

Learning Herbs has this recipe for a Cayenne Salve
http://learningherbs.com/remedies-recip ... in-relief/

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”