A Spoonful of Sugar.....

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

A Spoonful of Sugar.....

Postby Lady Alinor » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:08 pm

....or Honey, or Maple syrup, or Molasses helps the medicine go down in so many interesting ways!

I thought Mary Poppins was just trying to trick the children in her care into taking their medicine, instead she just may have known that 'sugar' can also be a vehicle/carrier, 'sugar' can accentuate another herb or herbs in a formula, can help draw out specific actions of herbs.
So Elderberry syrup made using HONEY would have an additional immune system boost from the honey as well as trace minerals and vitamins, but what else is it doing?.
Elderberry syrup using WHITE SUGAR made from sugarcane ...the sugar believe it or not actually has some trace minerals and vitamins and sugar is alkaline (how that plays a part in the syrup I don't know yet).

In TCM there are formulas that require honey 'fried' roots, and formulas/medicinal syrups that call for molasses to be added before consuming (some formulas require such an amount as to give one the shivers) The practice being that added sweetener boost Spleen Qi and tonify, the Spleen is responsible for transportation and transformation of nutrients..
This is a recipe that uses a large amount of a 'sugar'... Dr. Shook's Electric Nerve Stimulant which also uses Vegetable Glycerine. I've read good things about this formula...My plan is to use it for sciatica which it is said Dr. Shooks can be effective.
Dr. Shook's Electric Nerve Stimulant
1 oz. Irish Moss
1 oz. Bayberry bark or Black Cohosh root
4 oz. Prickly Ash bark
2 qts. distilled water
Mix herbs into water allow to sit 2 hours, bring to boil for 30 mins. (simmer boil). Strain while still hot. Add 1 pint Molasses and 1 pint glycerine. Simmer slowly for another 5 mins. Cool and bottle. taking a shot glass dosage.

I haven't made this yet, I do have the herbs though. I just can't imagine the taste of the herbs being so bad that 2 pints of sweet is needed...whew!

I've just started a lesson in Ayurveda (part of the TCM course as it has roots in Ayurveda), a most ancient system of healing that also uses sweeteners in herbal medicine.....and Ghee, YUM!

I'm going to hunt down more info....absolutely fascinating!

Lady Alinor

Re: A Spoonful of Sugar.....

Postby Lady Alinor » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:13 pm

Honey is quite the powerhouse addition to Elderberry syrup:
it lubricates
it relieves pain
it helps with dry coughs
it relieves constipation (gotta keep things moving during a health 'crisis')

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:20 pm

Here's a sweet recipe for sweet dreams!

Milk warmed then Honey added.
This is nourishing to the body and calming for the mind

Sweet Dreams!

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:23 pm

Warm milk with honey is one of my favourites, Lady A! With maybe a sprinkle of nutmeg on top.

Herbnut

Postby Herbnut » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:25 am

I do use animal milk, however I do use rice milk that I add my tinctures to, honey would be a great.
WiseGuy

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:36 pm

Here is an article written by Susun Weed called "Healing Sweets: Herbal Honeys, syrup and cough drops"
http://susunweed.com/An_Article_Weed_Self-help8.html

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”