Migraines

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lavendersoy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Migraines

Postby Lavendersoy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:26 pm

Looking for help and advise. I am in Perimenopause and have had migraines my whole life. When I have my period it's more severe. 15 years ago a friend introduced me to the migraine Advil stuff and wow that was the only thing that would take it away. I believe that over the counter was recalled and I decided I need to figure something else. So I started taking a caffeine pill (stay awake/No doz) and Advil. There have been a few time that chocolate taken the edge but never took it away total. So I decided to try marijuana piles and water but that really didn't help. Does anyone know what I can substitute the caffeine? Thanks

Herbnut

Re: Migraines

Postby Herbnut » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:53 pm

Migraines can be caused by a sensitivity to something in your environment, food, chemical, such as any cosmetic, perfume, including laundry detergent, bath soap.

Have you used any herbs for your migraines? Such as feverfew or Crampbark? There are many herbs that can help with heavy periods too, such as Red Raspberry leaf.

Why caffeine? Edit: Silly Question

Cannabis will most likely will make you sleepy, and defeat the purpose of the caffeine.
Last edited by Herbnut on Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
WiseGuy

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:07 pm

I too am/was a migraine sufferer, as I got into peri- menopause the headaches went away pretty much and when I did get one I could still function through it then I met Leukemia and its 'cure', the migraines returned 10 fold, the pharmaceuticals the docs Rx'd didn't help at all.
With research I discovered the cause....food intolerances (that I didn't have before but do now). I had to kick chocolate, all dairy, caffeine and SOY (soy is in so many food items these days, makes it tough) out of my kitchen...along with gluten sources.
Migraine headaches have gone from 4 a week to a big glorious ZERO.
When I cheat I get the warning signals...halos, shadows, sparkles...SO I kick myself in the shorts and dose myself with Magnesium and promise to be more careful in the future.

Herbnuts suggestion of Feverfew is a good one, I looked into that myself and so I have a large patch growing in the garden.
My research showed that the tea or capsules are helpful if used daily and the tincture is used along with in acute situations

I will look into the Crampbark as a helper

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:43 pm

If you don't want to go the Western medical route (and there are some medications you could discuss with a doctor), I'll tell you that a friend of my mother's used to drink a cup of strong black coffee as soon as she got the aura. You're right that caffeine can help, because it counteracts the vascular spasms I think - but you do have totake it almost before the migraine starts.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:44 pm

My grandmother used REAL Licorice and a cola then she would tie a bandana on her head.

Caffeine has never been a help for me.

Juliette de Bairacli Levy had a great migraine helper in her Lavender Spirits.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:39 am

As for MEDICAL Marijuana for migraines, there are specific strains/plants that are helpful for headaches/migraines....one would need to ask at a medical dispensary.

Kezzie

Postby Kezzie » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:57 pm

You know, my husband gets migraines. Not near as often as when he was a kid, but ever few months or so anymore. I have often wondered if certain foods were at the root of it. I've had 2 in my life, and I know exactly what caused them, but I would like to eliminate them from DH's life if I could.
Lady Alinor - what research did you do to locate the root cause of yours? Where do we start? Over the years, I have not been able to stitch together any one thing that kickstarts a migraine for him.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:39 pm

Kezzie - My research began a few months after the migraine became migraines. I talked to my oncologist who had me talk to my GP who told me to talk to the oncologist who said each patient reacts differently, give yourself some time to adjust...huh?!....so I was on my own.
Elimination.....I removed as many chemicals from my world as I could, cleaning supplies, personal care items including toothpaste, shampoo, lotion...everything.. but still migraines and they were increasing.
That left FOOD so I started eliminating all of the trigger foods even some that aren't on the usual handout from the drs. office....peanuts, hard cheeses, msg, corn, dairy, beans (dry), nightshades and ALL SOY (that is hard to do since it is in so much!).
To be honest I actually don't know for certain which one thing it is that stopped the migraines or if it is about ALL of them but I haven't had one in months after having 3-4 a week for quite some time. I'm afraid to reintroduce some of the foods I eliminated because I'm perfectly happy not having any more headaches and I really don't miss some of those foods!

While working out the headache issues I am also trying to restore my digestive system...I think both issues are related to each other and the cancer therapy, so for your husband I would look at foods and environment. Men have hormonal fluctuations too....perhaps a connection there?

Kezzie

Postby Kezzie » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:31 pm

Excellent info, Lady A. Thank you! We will begin with the most obvious, and go through the process of elimination.
An interesting bit - when he started taking blood pressure meds (emotional Italian to the core!) the migraines dropped off significantly in number. Actually though - I think that may be the process a bit more straight forward.... we will see.
Thanks again.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”