making tinctures without alcohol

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BarbaraJean
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

making tinctures without alcohol

Postby BarbaraJean » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:04 pm

I have been using my homemade hawthorn tincture which was made following Susun's recipe. It came out rather potent as I used 100 proof vodka.
Since Iam no longer accustomed to drinking alcohol I feel a bit "loose off the Goose" after taking it. Does any one know about the use of glycerin
in the preparation of tinctures? In your collective experience has there been any other substance which was used instead of alcohol?

ItalianBee

Re: making tinctures without alcohol

Postby ItalianBee » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:12 pm

I've used cider vinegar, but it does extract different chemicals from what alcohol will get - I've been taught that vinegar will extract vitamins and minerals, alcohol gets the resins, volatile oils, and alkaloids. Glycerin I haven't used - frankly it has just felt a little too artificial to me and I don't like the idea. I make a lot of vinegar extracts, though they don't last as long as alcohol extracts.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:42 pm

BarbaraJean, how much tincture are you taking each time? mixing it with anything?

I've worked some with Glycerine, not a fan...REAL SWEET....can't get rid of the sweet SWEET.
I'd say go ahead and try some, make a small batch and see what you think/feel....and be sure to let us know what you think/feel about it.

NateFlory

Postby NateFlory » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:15 am

I have found that adding the dropper (or drops) of tincture to a glass of juice or warm water instead of directly on the tongue, minimizes the "Whoo DRUNK" mindset. Possibly a variation on the placebo effect, since it's still "consuming the alcohols" even with the dosage is so tiny... but it helps me think of it differently. :)

Herbnut

Postby Herbnut » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:17 am

I don't drink, I only use alcohol in tincture form. With the tinctures I have been working with I take no more then 1tsp 60 drops, I add it to hot Tea or some rice milk, which cuts down on the alcohol bite.
WiseGuy

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:43 am

Drops in water allows the body to 'taste' the herb, taste is a huge part of the herbs actions since everything starts in the mouth.
Husband thinks it weird that I enjoy the tastes and scents of my tinctures, getting to where I can recognize a few herb tinctures just by taste.

NateFlory

Postby NateFlory » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:21 pm

Forgot to add, (to address the initial question, oops!)
I've also seen Glycerides and vinegars as "tinctures" for those with alcohol insensitivies or such.
However, the chemistry is different as alcohol is a solvent for particular alkaloids that may not be readily dissolved in acetic acid (vinegar) or Glycerine. Not to discount those, as I've als ohad very good luck with them using specific plants, but as a Generality, not so much.
for Hawthorn, I've only ever used alcohol, and at 100proof for all my tinctures.. But dripped into a glass of water before consuming, yes. :)

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:27 pm

Here is a link (also shared in another thread) to an interesting and supposedly very potent way of making a Glycerite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU7Rdwx ... ture=share

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”