everclear vs. vodka for making tinctures

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

BarbaraJean
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

everclear vs. vodka for making tinctures

Postby BarbaraJean » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:37 am

I have not been able to find locally (long island) a "no frills" vodka for the preparation of my tinctures. The liquour stores have recommended Everclear which is 190 proof or 95% alcohol. Is this acceptable or must I use vodka exclusively?

ItalianBee
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: everclear vs. vodka for making tinctures

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:07 pm

I've never used Everclear but I understand that lots of people do; and I gather from people who've used it that you would dilute it 50-50 with good water.

BarbaraJean

Postby BarbaraJean » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:11 pm

Thank you. Will buy Everclear and distilled water for next batch :)

NateFlory

Postby NateFlory » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:07 am

Yes, that is what I have done with good results. Sometimes, if I am unable to find a good 100-proof vodka, I mix a bit of "190+" in with the cheaper 80-proof vodka, though that winds up with two bottles... which is perfect for keeping one for 'high-octane' martinis/mixers and one for medicines. ;)

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:17 pm

When I tincture tough roots and barks I prefer the Everclear. (wish it wasn't sooooo nasty :? )

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:15 am

LadyA!!!! Good to see you! How have been?

Kezzie

Postby Kezzie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Another option for those who really do NOT like the taste of vodka, or everclear is brandy. Brandy make rather a luxurious tincture.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:15 pm

WhiteHorse

Postby WhiteHorse » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:22 pm

I prefer brandy myself. although it is only 80 proof I find it is making very nice tinctures. One of my clients recently got a job at a local distillery and they make 100 proof moonshine. I've started using it and I like it very much!

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:46 am

I've never tasted Moonshine, what is its flavor or essence like?

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”