Relief for our new rescue dog

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
goddessinthegroove

Relief for our new rescue dog

Postby goddessinthegroove » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Good Morning!

We very recently lost our GSD Rex, who was only 9years old, very fast and mysteriously, we think it was a reaction to vaccine. :(

We were heartbroken.I looked up a local sheperd rescue to donate our food to, and we discovered Valor. Both the kids and I were drawn to him. We are a good dog family, and since we will grieve our Rex for a long time, we decided it was not "too early" to give another dog a home. We decided to adopt Valor two weeks later.

He has been with us a week now. He is a great dog. BUT...he came with undisclosed medical stuff (not by the rescue, but the current owners, the rescue was the middle man), and a very long story.

He was throwing up daily and getting Pepcid to remedy the vomitting :(. I immediately changed his food, and giving him some extras like probiotics & tuna, I call it my hippie diet. He has not thrown up once and is gaining weight.

What I cannot seem to curb is the shedding. He sheds immensely, and is very itchy. I have ruled out fleas. We brush him, and i have to sweep or vacume several times a day. It is only a week, so this may change, but the hair is driving me crazy.

Any recommendations?
Thank you.
http://www.goddessinthegroove.com
Kitchen Witch Maker, Goddess Painter, author, chicken hugger, dog wrangler, gypsy, herb lover.
IG: Goddess in the Groove

RoseRed
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Relief for our new rescue dog

Postby RoseRed » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:08 am

Shepards have a real thick under coat that they blow in spring and fall.

The itchy skin could be a skin allergy. Does benedryl or hydrocortizone cream help with the itch?

goddessinthegroove

Re: Relief for our new rescue dog

Postby goddessinthegroove » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:43 am

We have been brushing (and vacumming! :)..) him like crazy.
I have not tried giving benedryl, it is not something I have in the house, and I am not sure of dosage. Also, he is itching everywhere, a bit big for slathering with cream. I am going to try a apple cider wash today, and tomorrow morning I have an appointment with a vet.
http://www.goddessinthegroove.com
Kitchen Witch Maker, Goddess Painter, author, chicken hugger, dog wrangler, gypsy, herb lover.
IG: Goddess in the Groove

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”