Preserving syrups?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ItalianBee
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Preserving syrups?

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:29 pm

My husband and I both love marshmallow syrup for stomach problems, and I've made some other syrups that I really like as well, but I find they don't last as long as I expect. I make a decoction of the herb and add half as much honey, which is how I learned to do it, and keep them in the fridge, but they go bad before we use them up.

First, how long should I be expecting them to last?

And I've heard that adding alcohol, i.e. 80 proof vodka, helps preserve syrups - how much would be good to add?

Thanks!

Gwen

Re: Preserving syrups?

Postby Gwen » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:16 am

Alcohol does help! I add about a quarter the amount of alcohol to syrup. Refrigeration helps too. I usually do both.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:52 pm

Thanks Gwen!

I did hear from a friend around here that she uses a tablespoon or two of 80 proof alcohol per quart - interesting. I'll try something in between. I don't want them to be noticeably alcoholic.

Gwen

Postby Gwen » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:33 pm

Yeah sure! To be honest with you, I tend to eyeball as opposed to measure, but 4:1 seems about right. I don't like a strong alcohol taste either, and I forgot to mention that a taste test is implemented throughout the pouring and mixing. ;) It could very well be a little less. But I just opened a bottle of elderberry syrup from last year that was hiding in my fridge, and it tasted good. We just finished it up. So yeah, play around with it. You'll figure out what works! :D

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”