Sick all the time!

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

Chicago Lady
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sick all the time!

Postby Chicago Lady » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:57 pm

Hello, everyone. I am hoping that you can give me some suggestions and hope. For the last 5-6 years, I am sick on-and-off from September to March. I have been battling whatever it is for two weeks now and am not really getting any better. I have a lot of sinus congestion, a dry cough, running nose, and headache. I take raw garlic all year, herbs, and Vitamin c, gave up dairy and sugar years ago. I have a very clean house, replace the furnace filters frequently and am not allergic to my dog. My doctor has taken a whole battery of blood tests and, other than a slightly out of kilter thyroid, says I am very healthy. I am a seamstress by profession so I don't have a lot of contact with sick people. I also have no tonsils, if that makes any difference. I am at my wits end with this problem and wonder if anyone can suggest anything. Please don't tell me to move (I wish!), as my husband has his business here. Thanks for all the suggestions!

ItalianBee
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Sick all the time!

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:17 pm

How much vitamin C are you taking? It is possible to take too much. And what are the herbs? Chamomile, for instance, seems to help hay fever for some people and make it worse for others.

Also, even with a clean house and being sure you aren't allergic to your dog, you could be allergic to something in your environment.

Chicago Lady

Postby Chicago Lady » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:29 pm

Italian Bee, thank you for getting back to me! I take about 500mg of vitamin C daily. I also that Horsetail, Red Clover, Evening Primrose oil, Turmeric,ginger, and Milk Thistle. This is along with vitamins and calcium. I should be super-healthy!

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:58 am

See an Allergist/Immunologist and get a diagnosis. Those symtpoms fit a variety of different illnesses.

Keep your body well cared for. Nutritional support is essential when you'll ill for extended periods of time.

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:28 am

I would also suggest drinking taheebo (pau d'arco) tea. It will help support your immune system and is amazing for the respiratory system. Have a big pot on the stove continually brewing so you can just dip into it and drink it all day.

Pay attention to everything in your surroundings. What is different? Plants? Weather? Construction? Sewage? Smells? Seasonal foods you only eat at that time? What about clothing? Are you wearing materials you wouldn't through the warmer months? Are winter/fall clothing, including coats, being stored somewhere that might allow them to pick something up? Do you change cleaning products a that time? Do you use certain personal hygiene products only during those months? ANd of course, there could be your heating. Your system could be blowing something or could be burning something you don't do well with (it might not have to do with the filters). Of course, there's also your husband? What is his job? Could he be bringing something from his job in only during the cooler seasons? Is your dog indoors more? If so, and you don't have a vacuum, that could be part of the problem, even if you're not highly allergic to your dog.

I'd go through each thing, one at a time, and write it down. Make a spreadsheet! and narrow it down to what changes.

And I agree with Redrose. Get yourself some support from an immunologist/allergist.

Gwen

Postby Gwen » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:24 am

Do you take the same herbs all year round? How do you take them? In tea, tincture, capsules?

Chicago Lady

Postby Chicago Lady » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi, everyone. Thanks for reading my posts and taking time to make some much-needed suggestions. In answer to your questions, yes, the herbs that I mentioned are pretty much my all-year fare. I take them in capsule form usually. I used to take Pau D' Arco many years ago, but heard that it could be dangerous and quit. I am checking off the list of things that could be possible irritants and I really think the dampness from Lake Michigan has a lot to do with my problems. Does anyone on this forum live by a very large body of water and find that it contributes to health issues? Thanks for all the input!

Gwen

Postby Gwen » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:50 am

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:42 am

Chicago Lady

Postby Chicago Lady » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:13 pm

Hello, everyone. Thanks again for all the suggestions. In answering your questions, I must admit that I spend very little time exploring the land where I live. I have been race walking for years, but almost totally ignore my surroundings. Guess that better stop!

I know that I am taking too many herbs. I know that I should be taking tinctures or teas instead of capsules. Why on earth am I still doing it?! What should I cut out? If I were to consume just one herb, what should it be?

I also have thought about getting "good and sick" and just letting my body get well on its own. I am almost afraid to do this, though, because I get bronchitis very easily and it can and has gone into pneumonia. Sorry if I seem unflexible; I just hate to be sick so much! Any more suggestions?

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”