Ideas for making Nettle infusions taste better.

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

Allie
Site Admin

Ideas for making Nettle infusions taste better.

Postby Allie » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:31 am

Hello ladies,

Let's talk about ideas for making our Nettle infusions taste better.

I've tried:
Mint: Not bad, probably my favorite
Honey: Tastes kinda weird to me
Licorice root: Too sweet

Share your ideas!

.:*~*:._.:*~*:.
~* Allie *~
Wise Woman Team

Gwen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Ideas for making Nettle infusions taste better.

Postby Gwen » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:18 pm

I love to add a pinch of Himalayan salt.

RoseRed
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby RoseRed » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:47 am

And I can't gag it down with salt but 2 tablespoons of sugar (to a quart infusion) and I'm a happy camper.

give it a few days. If you body needs what's in it - you'll start craving it and it'll taste better. If it doesn't - try an oatstraw infusion. It seems like people usually prefer one over the other.

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:26 pm

Lemon juice works, but I don't mind the taste.

Gwen

Postby Gwen » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:34 pm

I like to mix my infusions with at least 3/4 nettle and 1/4 oat straw. You are not supposed to do that but I know how each herb affects my body individually and I feel like I benefit from blending them. I don't mind nettle on its own but sometimes it can be too rich, and oat straw helps with that. Lately, I started adding lemon balm to this and it tastes great, even better with honey. I got the idea from Rosemary Gladstar.

Kezzie

Postby Kezzie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:25 pm

Mmmmm.... As RoseRed noted - when you body needs a particular infusion, I find myself craving it, and the flavor.
The lemon balm sounds rather tasty. I've not tried that as an additional flavor to an infusion.
I don know that with tea, when I want more than plain tea, the only thing I tend to add is either honey or agave nectar.

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:11 am

If you try to grow your own lemon balm - it really does need full sun or it gets all leggy and spindly and sad.

The other thing with nettle infusion is the quality. If it brews up a brilliant emerald green - you've got gold. If it brews up brown like regular tea - it's not a great quality and the flavor does suffer for it.

Gwen

Postby Gwen » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:42 pm

I grow my own Lemon Balm,and it is all quite beautiful. A lovely gypsy plant that is quite clever and will become quickly feral before you know it. Another thing I do is steep the nettle for no more than four hours. Eight hours is a bit overkill for nettle, in my opinion, especially mail-ordered nettle.

I agree. Brown nettle = bleck. The Nettle I harvest from the local creek sides is far superior in flavor to that which I order, but I haven't yet mastered the trick of harvesting enough to make infusions through all the off seasons!!

When I am craving nettle, it does taste a lot better. But I don't necessarily think I don't need it when I'm not craving it. When I'm craving nettle, I'm usually deficient in minerals and also start craving salt. I try not to wait until I'm deficient to drink it, but it doesn't always turn out that way. I'm getting a lot better at switching up my infusions through out the week. For several years, it was just nettle, and I really think I needed it that much. I used to add Fremonita leaves to it, a local species of Malvaceae, which added a subtle sweetness and much needed mucilage. That idea I got from Kiva Rose. I'm pregnant right now and nothing tastes right, but I'm still drinking the nettle because I feel much better the next day than I would if I skipped it.

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:53 am

I put my lemon balm in a large pot because I didn't want it taking over. I had it in the back but it's a wooded, shaded property. I moved it up front into direct sun and she's much happier now and all those spindly spots are filling in.

I'm not sure if I should bring it in in the winter. It doesn't get super cold here.

Any of the supply houses (Jeans Greens in Maine, Mountain Rose in Oregon, I think or Pacific Botanicals - those are the main 3 that I use) will send you a sample if you call and ask before you order it by the pound. I did that once. 3 POUNDS of bad nettle - and all 3 supply houses had the same nettle. MR used to cut their own leaf and stem and that was a supriringly good quality. I actually liked it with more than just the leaves - it was a little milder but still really good.

Any ideas on what to do with the left over nettle that I just couldn't drink?

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:54 am

I've been told by a few people that harvest their own that when they find a nice stand they take the top 3rd of the plant and continue to harvest all season. Something about the younger top growth doesn't have the time to form the crystals. I don't remember exactly.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”