Red Clover leaf instead of blossom

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Gwen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Red Clover leaf instead of blossom

Postby Gwen » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:23 pm

Hello,

Because my budget is a bit tight, I couldn't help but notice that red clover leaf is more affordable than red clover blossoms. If I make infusions of the leaf will I get any of the anti-cancer benefits? I looked this topic up on this forum but didn't find anything specific to my query. I've watched Susun's YouTube video about making red clover infusion and noticed that she put emphasis on 'blossoms.' I'm trying to get a variety of nourishing herbs with a small budget and don't want to be forced to exclude one for another if I can possibly help it. I'm not interested in fertility, so I definitely want the red clover for the anti-cancer properties. Thank you for any and all helpful information, links, suggestions, etc. :D

Gwen

Re: Red Clover leaf instead of blossom

Postby Gwen » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:46 pm

Well, I went ahead and splurged on blossoms. But I'll leave this question up because I'd like to know more for curiosity's sake. And if I find any articles about it I'll post links here too. Green Blessings!

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:35 pm

Do you live anywhere you can gather the blossoms yourself? They grow wild in just about any open space. That's what I do, and then dry them.

I realise this is kind of after the fact, but I just saw this post...

Gwen

Postby Gwen » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Hi ItalianBee,

You know, I'm not 100% sure I've ever seen them growing, but that doesn't mean that they aren't growing here somewhere. I actually purchased a bag of red clover sprouting seeds and plan on strewing them in my backyard where I let the weedy things grow within the next few weeks or whenever the rain starts.

I did a little bit of research and learned that the blossoms are high in carotenes.

A pound of blossoms is $33 whereas a pound of leaves is $14. But, now that I've researched this herb, I realize it might be just the herb for me. It addresses so many of the issues that my body is dealing with. I just love it when you find an herb that addresses almost all of your issues in one plant. For instance, I love Kava because it addresses anxiety, communication, back pain and arthritic pain. Or Nettle, because it is literally a medicine chest in one plant especially if you are dealing with the myriad of issues stemming from hypothyroid. Red clover seems to be an herb like that as well. Not only does it enhance fertility, it addresses PMS and menopause issues, vision problems, lymph stagnation, chronic lung problems, and is anti-cancerous as well. It even enhances taste! I absolutely can't wait to start drinking this infusion and growing it in my back yard!

Here are some of the sources that have provided me with information about this herb. It can be a little confusing as some herbalists state that the blossom, stalk, and herb are used and others state simply to use the blossoms.

From The Way of Herbs by Michael Tierra, LAc, OMD
"RED CLOVER BLOSSOMS: Red clover blossoms (Trifolium pratense) are classified as bitter, cold, anti-inflammatory, diuretic, antipyretic, and able to improve acuity of vision because of a high beta-carotene content. They contain isoflavins, which possesses estrogen-like actions (genistein): the level of activity of 100 grams of the dried plant corresponds to 0.55-0.56 micrograms of estradiol. The plant's anticancer properties are enhanced by the presence of active carotene (richest in the blossoms) and vitamin E."

From Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal
"Parts used: Flowering tops and leaves Benefits: One of the best detoxification herbs and respiratory tonics, red clover is especially useful for easing chronic chest complaints such as coughs, colds, and bronchitis. Red clover is rich in minerals, most notably calcium, nitrogen, and iron. It is used for all skin conditions, as it is an excellent detoxifier or blood purifier. It is commonly used in antitumor formulas."

From The Book of Herbal Wisdom by Matthew Wood
"Red Clover flowers are sweet and tasty. They may be plucked as a snack as one walks in the fields. Because they have a medicinal action on the salivary glands causing a slight stimulation, they quench the thirst. Thus, they are an excellent remedy for the herbal forager in the fields. Picked and dried in the semi-shade they make an excellent, sweet tea. It is also possible to preserve them in alcohol, but most people prefer the dried flowers used as a tea."

and

"Red Clover has an affinity to the glands about the neck, under the ears towards the back of the neck. Here is should be compared with Cleavers. However, it tends towards single swollen glands, not numerous swellings, like Cleavers. It has an affinity to the parotids and the salivary glands in the back of the mouth. Red and White Clover have long been used, especially in homeopathy, as specifics for parotiditis, or mumps. The homeopathic provings and initial clinical experiences also showed that Red Clover acts strongly on the salivary glands, removing congestion, unplugging stopped up secretory glands, and removing calcium casts that form in the glands -- also in the tear ducts."

By Susun Weed
"Red clover (Trifolium pratense) is a superb anti-cancer and cancer-preventative herb. Since it is primarily grown to feed to pregnant and lactating cows, I consider it safe for everyone. I think of it as the herb of fertility; and I rely on it exclusively when students want help with conceiving. An infusion (not tea, not tincture, not capsules) of red clover blossoms, leaves, and stems is not only very high in protein, macro- and trace-minerals, and vitamins (except B12), it is an excellent source of phytosterols. Phytosterols are hormone-like substances found in many plants that can be bio-converted in the human gut into active anti-cancer estrogens and other helpful anti-stress hormones. Calling phytosterols phytoestrogens is confusing, as it implies harmful, not protective, effects."

And a few other articles. Some of these are interesting because they site studies that use extracts or drugs based on Red Clover as opposed to studies that use Red Clover infusion.

(User comments on webmd article are very interesting.)

(Information links embedded in Mountain Rose webpage)

A few herbal standards that reiterate what Susun Weed has written.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”