To remove the plants from your garden or area, I'm not sure other than good gloves and strong arms to pull it. However, Ivy is a pioneer plant and usually turns up in rougher soil to prepare it for other plants to grow, sort of a "forest preparing Plant" in my mind. She has a use, even though she makes us itch!
But I'm guessing you mean for spots of itchy inflamed skin that you got from brushing up against these greenies. For that, yes, wash with warm soapy water to get any residual oil out as fast as you can from when you get "infected". (likewise, wash clothes). Once the allergic reaction starts, cool compresses of oatmeal work much better in my opinion than "commercial Calamine Lotion", and is far cheaper too.
I'm sure other wise folk her can add more remedies. I usually stick to oatmeal or "grin and bear it" because i usually get poison when I am not mindful enough of her and blindly wander into them with shorts while hiking (thus, my own fault).
That being said, I know some people have VERY strong reactions to even brushing agaisnt someone who walked near the stuff, and require more Heroic medical antihistamine meds to continue breathing. So, be careful out there.
I don't get poison ivy, creeper's just a pretty but invasive vine and I had no idea if I was allergic to poison oak or not. It turns out that I am. The rash isn't too bad - the systemic swelling and breathing difficulties kicked my ass this week. Heroic measures were taken - I had to breathe. And I'm really glad the rash part isn't too bad - it's all over my face and neck. (I look like a circus show freak right now)
I think the oatmeal thing sounds lovely.
Plantain. If needing right away, chew and make a poultice. Otherwise you can use it later as a poultice to help heal the rash that's developed.
The other thing you can do is use green clay. Again, you can use it as a poultice. Place a cabbage leaf over it to keep it moist. You can put some in a bath to help soothe it. And, you can drink a tablespoon with lots of water, to help rid the system of anything that might have entered the blood system through your skin.
And the third I can think of s turmeric mixed with equal parts lemon juice, used as a paste, and let on for about 15 minutes. it will speed the healing.
I'm not allergic to poison ivy. It turns out that I am allergic to poison oak. The rash wasn't too bad - the itchy spots itches terribly but it was quite mild. Even the rash that covered my face and neck didn't get bubbly and leaky (thank all the God/desses) - just red, bumpy and angry looking.
What it did do was seriously mess with my breathing. So, yeah, I lived on benedryl and steroids for a week. (and then another week to recover from the steriods - I hate those things but they are life saving in the proper circumstances.)
The oatmeal bath was heavenly! I just cut a foot square of cheesecloth, dumped in some old fashioned oats, chamomile and a little calendula, tied up the ends and tossed it into a salt bath. The secret to the homemade tea bag is to squeeze it to release all the oat goodness. Otherwise, it just kinda hung out in the water looking all sad and pitiful LOL.
Thank you all. I didn't even think of plantain. Tbh, I wasn't thinking about much with those meds. Now that the crisis is over and I can breathe again - I'll definitely try it if the rash acts up again.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests