What to use instead of echinacea

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hyldemors Have
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What to use instead of echinacea

Postby Hyldemors Have » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:23 am

Hello all,

I use echinacea tincture a lot, but it is not a native plant of Denmark (Scandinavia), so I have to order dried root from England or other sources. But I would very much like to use a native plant instead, to lower the cost and troubles.

But do any of you know of any plant with similar forces? I have thought of yarrow, but I am not sure, that it has the same abilities regards white blood cells and all.

/Maria Lisette

Melissa Doordaughter

Re: What to use instead of echinacea

Postby Melissa Doordaughter » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:04 am

I have been thinking about how much echinacea I use, and have started trying to grow it... It might even grow in Denmark....

But if you are looking for something native to your home perhaps usnea, which is a lichen, could be interesting? I've never tried making a preparation for it though, think it is a bit more complicated than a plant tincture?

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/usnea.htm

Hyldemors Have

Postby Hyldemors Have » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:40 pm

I have looked it up, and usnea is supposedly pretty rare in Denmark, but I will keep a look for it.
I have planted echinacea angustifolia in my garden, but it is slowgrowing, so while I am waiting, I really would love to find a native plant with same abilities...

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:29 pm

I have my very first tincture of Usnea (also known as Old Man's Beard) working in the pantry. I gathered it with my niece who wanted a closely related lichen for dyeing wool; you have to look closely to tell some of those tree lichens apart. What I have been told is that you have to let it sit for a year and then it should turn gold if it is going to be effective. So I won't be checking mine out until late summer! I'm not sure what other preparations would extract the goods as well.

I should add that I've read more about the antibiotic and antifungal properties of usnea than the immune boosting properties.

Hyldemors Have

Postby Hyldemors Have » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:38 pm

OK - I will keep my eyes open.

Melissa Doordaughter

Postby Melissa Doordaughter » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:26 am

Wow, a golden tincture... that will be a real magical potion!

Also, perhaps elder can offer some of the same properties as echinacea, the flowers can be made into a tea for reducing a fever. And the berries make a wonderful concoction against flu. But I don't know if it's antiviral properties boost the immune system... That'd be interesting to know.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”