Tincture or infusion

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hyldemors Have
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tincture or infusion

Postby Hyldemors Have » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:46 am

hello all,

I am trying to explain a friend, what the difference is between a tincture and a infusion.
And why some herbs are good for one and some for the other.
Does any of you come in mind of somewhere where Susun explain it thoroughly?

I know that tinctures is only made of fresh plant material (ex to keep the volitoil (?) oils) and infusion of dried (mostly due to the large amount needed).
Tinctures can be taking in small doses over a long period - and infusions in larger amounts.

But my guess is that it is due to the different results we want from each thing?
From the infusions we get minerals and vitamins and so on and from the tinctures it is more active components?

ex - In Denmark it is pretty common to drink/eat elder berry soup when you have a cold - but I have made tincture from the elder berries last fall, and has been taking that instead this winter. And it has really been working well. But my friend asked me - "Why didn't you just made the soup"
My reply was, that it is easier to have the tincture in handy - but wouldnt I get more of the active stuff from the soup - due to the larger amount I will consume in a plateful or cup of soup?

Can you try to back me up? :-)

/Maria Lisette

Lady Alinor

Re: Tincture or infusion

Postby Lady Alinor » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:31 pm

Somewhere there is an article written by Susun about the when's and how comes of infusions, tinctures and the like.

Tinctures are potent for many years, quantities as small as a drop can be effective and often immediate and a smaller amount of plant material is needed to make a tincture.

Infusions are better for extracting water soluble minerals and vitamins. Infusions are a gentle medicine which can be a daily long-term ally.

Decoctions and syrups, teas and tisanes..... :D

Hyldemors Have

Re: Tincture or infusion

Postby Hyldemors Have » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:00 pm

;) I think it was what I needed, especially about the water soluble minerals... and the small doses...
Thanks...

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”