question about Comfrey

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
immj
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

question about Comfrey

Postby immj » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:48 pm

Can anyone tell me where I can find a rebuttal to the "fact" that Comfrey shouldn't be taken internally? I'm always telling people that it is perfectly safe and good to drink Comfrey infusion. I have been doing that for at least 10 years. I know that some time ago, somewhere, someone proved that test result to be wrong, but I have never seen any "official" posting. I should love to get my hands on that information!

Blue Wren

Re: question about Comfrey

Postby Blue Wren » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:39 pm

Rosemary Gladstar put out a good rebuttal on the dangers of comfrey a few years back. I'm sure it will still be on the net or maybe on Rosemary's website. It's a good read, from memory.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:47 pm

Here is a great article written by Paul Bergner.

http://medherb.com/Materia_Medica/Symph ... aloids.htm

Personally I'm on the fence with internal Comfrey ROOT use, it would depend on why it was needed, is there an alternative?

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:32 am

From what I've read - all of the deaths involved with comfrey use had to do with improper dosages of the root - not the aerial parts.

R Gladstar and P Bergner have some excellent write ups. SW has several videos and quite a few articles about it.

Hyldemors Have

Postby Hyldemors Have » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:58 am

After reading that article from Paul Bergner I feel like discontinuing my comfrey infusions... :-(

Liz

Postby Liz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:57 pm

By mistake, I bought 8oz of dried comfrey root. Is this useful for anything? Or should I throw it in my compost pile?

NateFlory

Postby NateFlory » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:41 am

I'd keep the root for a lovely wound-healing Salve, personally, if you don't feel comfortable taking it internally.
Comfrey is Symphytum, which mean "mender of bones". :)

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:54 am

The root is wonderful for external use. Most of the health warnings and the few reported deaths either had to do with using the root or infants. SW goes into this a lot in some of her articles and in depth in some of her videos. Comfrey is one of her favorite infusions.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”