muscles after exercise

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
snow moon
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

muscles after exercise

Postby snow moon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:12 pm

Is there anything to do herbally—internally or externally—to lessen muscle soreness after exercise?

RoseRed

Re: muscles after exercise

Postby RoseRed » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:56 pm

You've got your standard warm up and especially warm downs. Those are super important along with long stretches.

The PT guys and chiro both say ice. The assistant at my one do's office swears by ice baths. That jumping into freezing water is like a weeks worth of healing - not an ouch or an ooch or nothing. I'm still not sure if I believe it, tho, but he swore by it.

Drink plenty of fluids to flush out all those wonderful hormones and chemicals we emit while exercising.

As far as herbal stuff, we'll need a little more info,

snow moon

Postby snow moon » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:26 am

Thank you, Rose Red.

That is all helpful ... And perhaps more precisely what I'm trying to avoid is the "stiffness" that sets in the next day. I'm sure it is a great protective measure so the muscles can heal ... But particularly in my neck and upper back (which hold pain always), I can experience a good release during exercise only to find the muscles are worse the next day. St. johns wort and pine oils are helpful, but I'm not brave enough for an ice bath!

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:27 am

I actually go the other direction - I soak in a hot bath. With or without birch bark infusion or rose infusion thrown into it!

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:18 am

Extra fluids and long slow stretches. It's lactic acid (or something that sounds like that) that causes the sore and stiffness. It's easily flushed out of your system if you start preparing for it before it sets in. Keep your muscles warm and your blood pumping for a few hours after exercising with extra fluids.

I prefer heat to ice anyday! A bath with rose infusion sounds LOVELY!

I'll also do an epsom salt bath the next day. The magnesium is absorbed through the skin. (Mag reacts with a lot of different meds. Talk to a pharmacist if you take any and see if interactions are probable.) 2 cups, 20 minutes in a comfortably warm/hot bath. Cool off in a cool shower. Drink an extra glass of something.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”